[comp.sys.dec.micro] BURNING ICS Conf:

GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (George A. Theall) (10/10/89)

Comments: Rainbow Echomail from TONY BUSTOS    Read: YES
Hi. I'm wondering... just what modem are you using? My RB and its USR 2400
have been up for four years continuously and my modem cable isn't even warm
yet. Seems unnatural for the RB to fry the COMM port as often as yours apparen
is.

As for DEC, I'm sure it could be fixed - for (clearing throat) a reasonable
fee. I picked up a DF03 for $50 (the case looks nice) that operates fine
at 300 baud, but no go at 1200. I called DEC repair & asked the young lady
there if it would be worth repairing. She assured me that it was and put
me on hold while she looked up the rates. When she returned she said it
could be one of two things wrong. One of the two boards would have to be
replaced, but she didn't know which. Whichever the problem, she said it
would cost either $550 or $650. I forget if that was with or without labor.
When I stopped laughing, I told her about my Courier 2400 I had just bought
new for $350.

She said perhaps I should go buy another...

---
* Origin: Long_Island RB (Opus 1:102/138)
--- Via PCBGate v2.0a5