[comp.sys.dec.micro] RAINBOW USERS UNITE!! Conf:

GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (George A. Theall) (10/06/89)

Comments: Rainbow Echomail from DAVID STRICKLER    Read: YES

In a message of <29 Sep 89 09:08:16>, George Dahlco, Sysop 102/138 (1:102/138.
writes:

>In a message of <Sep 26 01:18>, Bill Mayhew (1:101/1) writes:
>
> BM>  I think "speaking for Dave Strickler" might be sort of easy at this

> BM>point, since once again his system is not a functioning part of the

> BM>echo. He tells me he is still trying to pick up the DEC echoes from

> BM>129/15, but is told by the telco that the number is out of service.

Actualy he's back up now (got through to him last night). I'm also
no longer connecting to him. He's been down more tan he's been up this summer!
I'mm connecting to Jim Greely (101/1) for all DEC echos now.

>  Bill,
>
>  That's amazing... I'll call John Vukovic today. It's unlike him to
>leave the  Net and not tell anyone. He must be having some other
>problems. Thanks for the  info...
>
>-George, 102/138-

It sounded like big phone problems, as the phone company said it
was "OD" whatever that means. They wouldn't tell me anymore.

--- msged 1.99S ZTC
* Origin: Midnight DEC  (1:101/45)
--- Via PCBGate v2.0a5

GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (George A. Theall) (10/10/89)

Comments: Rainbow Echomail from VAN VANHORN    Read: YES

George,

First, as far as finding fossils for the Rainbow, the board you are entering
messages in certainly has them if it has anything for rainbow users at all.
What you need are DECCOMM and VFOS_DEC.  If your system doesn't have them,
every other board hosting this echo must.

As far as the connections to CIS are concerned, I really don't give a rat's
ass how little CIS might make off our messages.  It also is not germane how
many of us use either service in our businesses.  The question here is equity.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think that CIS has either more FORUMs than
FIDOnet has echoes, nor do I think they have a higher message volume than
we do.  I could be wrong, but I think the collected FIDOnet systems are equal
in size to CIS.  If there is a difference, I am certain it isn't big.

If they are going to charge people $12.80 per hour to read messages that
were entered on FIDOnet systems, it seems only right that we should be able
to read messages that somebody else paid $12.80 to enter.  I think both sides
would benefit from a two-way exchange, and it certainly wouldn't hurt CIS.
They would be paid by the originator of any CIS message for the time to
enter the message, and they would probably be paid by somebody for the time
to download it and transfer it to FIDOnet.

In short, both sides have rules of entry, both sides would benefit from the
larger number of messages that a two-way exchange would make possible.  To
allow Compu$erve, nay, for Compu$erve to even ask, for a one sided exchange
is offensive to me.

Of course, the real question is not up to you and I.  I don't recall whether
or not Stricks is the moderator of this echo, or if I am confusing the three
DEC echoes in my mind, but the moderator has sole discretion on this one.
It doesn't sound like Bill Mayhew has the authority to negotiate for CIS,
and neither you nor I do on the FIDO side.  The moderator has absolute authori
over echo routing, and that would include any gates to other systems or networ
Maybe we'll hear from him in the next few days.

+vanhorn+

---
* Origin: Horsefeathers + Burn a flag for freedom! + (Opus 1:343/30)
--- Via PCBGate v2.0a5

GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (George A. Theall) (10/13/89)

Comments: Rainbow Echomail from BILL MAYHEW    Read: YES

Please understand that neither CIS NOR the DECPC Forum thereon has
requested this capability.  I am very aware of the concerns you have
enumerated and I think they are significant.
For the record, CIS _does_ stand to lose money by a two-sided gateway.
While you're right that someone would be paying to download the messages
there and get them posted here, that's just _one_ someone reading those
messages, not "n" someones.  Further, if all that content were available
on Fidonet, there could very well be significant attrition of CIS customers
away from CIS.  These are, in my opinion, some of the reasons{
why CIS would frown on (and in fact clearly proscribes, under its
operating rules and regulations) any fully two-sided gateway of that type.
Given their business, I don't particularly blame them.
As for volume comparisons... I estimate based on what I see here that
gatewaying between DECPC and the Rainbow Echo would _rougly_ double the
volume.  (Uh, make that "roughly")  In other words, they're about equal.
Overall, CIS has 500,000+ users; I doubt Fido/Opus comes very close to
that, but I also don't think it's particularly relevant :-}...
-Bill

--- ConfMail V4.00
* Origin: Still Servicing the Rainbow - Maybee Forever (1:101/1)
--- Via PCBGate v2.0a5