[comp.sys.dec.micro] Rainbow Windows

mmac@islenet.UUCP (Michael E. Macmillan) (06/09/88)

The following article is from the June 1988 issue of Silicon
Valley Rainbow, the newsletter of the Silicon Valley DEC PC Users
Group.  I thought it so informative as to demand a broader
audience.  It is posted here with the consent of the author and
the editor of the newsletter.

Michael E. Macmillan
CompuServe: 74206,577        Bitnet: macmillm@ewc.bitnet
GEnie     : macmillan        UUCP  : {ihnp4|vortex}!islenet!mmac

A glance inside Rainbow Windows
-------------------------------

By Len Berk
Toronto, Ontario, PC group

     There's good news for Rainbow users: A version of
MS-Windows for the Rainbow exists, and some of us have had
the chance to try it out.

     I've been playing with a copy for about a month, and I'm
happy to report that it does most of what it's supposed to.
I'll give some details of what it doesn't do shortly.  But
what it does do, above all, is permit a Rainbow to run a
number of current, hitherto unusable, applications.

     MS-Windows is not an application but rather an extension
to DOS.  First conceived at Microsoft early in 1983, it was
designed, in part, to solve the problem of software
incompatibilities among MS-DOS computers, and to provide
multitasking under MS-DOS.

     It does this by providing application programs with all
the hardware interface services they presumably could ever
want and then prohibiting them from laying a finger on the
hardware itself.  The result is that, under Windows,
incompatibility is no more: Any program that runs under
Windows on the IBM PC will run under Windows on the Rainbow.

     Since late 1985, when Windows for the IBM first became
available, perhaps a couple of dozen applications have
appeared commercially, ranging from desk-top publishing and
presentation graphics to ``hypertext'' and artificial
intelligence expert systems.

     And most of what I've tried so far behaves on my Rainbow
just as it does on a comparably equipped IBM PC.

     In fact, the basic implementation of Windows on the
Rainbow is so similar to that on the IBM PC that any
generally available Windows instruction manual will serve as
a guide.  A description of Windows can be found in Nancy
Andrews'  Windows  from Microsoft Press.  To
follow her account, you need to keep in mind that on the
Rainbow Compose Character functions as ALT, and Control-
Escape functions as Escape, the general purpose cancel
command on the PC.

     Because Windows is an environment for running
applications, the main questions are which ones it runs and
how well? so I've been trying everything I could get my hands
on.

     I've tried all of the desk-top applications included in
the Windows retail package, a bunch of public domain demos
and utilities, the font, bit map, and dialogue-box editors
included with the Windows Software Development Kit, and two
major commercial packages: Windows Draw and Pagemaker.  Most
run without a hitch.

     The reason that not all do is that the current
implementation of Windows for the Rainbow is incomplete.
Like MS-DOS, Windows comprises some code that's machine
specific and some that's not.

     The machine specific code resides in device drivers for
the computer's peripherals: keyboard, serial ports, mouse,
sound generator, and so on.  Of these, the communications
port driver turns out to be inoperable -- it crashes the
machine -- and the mouse driver has not been installed, so
programs that perform serial communications or require a
mouse won't work.

     Among the standard Windows desk-top applications, the
terminal emulator doesn't run, nor does the print spooler,
for reasons that I haven't yet figured out.  And Pagemaker,
which does run, won't actually do page layout because all the
movement functions require a mouse.

     There are three more limitations:  The first is speed.
It's a commonplace by now that Windows runs slowly on 8088
machines, and the Rainbow is no exception.

     Programs like Pagemaker or Draw can sometimes take a
minute or more to load and display a complex image, and some
common operations in Draw and Paint, like drawing a bounding
box, become tedious if you attempt them with the image
displayed in actual rather than reduced scale.

     The second limitation is that the version of Windows
running on the Rainbow, 1.03, was superceded last fall by
version 2.0.  The changes have been sufficient to prevent a
couple of applications written expressly for 2.0 from running
under 1.03.  These are Windows Write 2.0 (earlier versions
do run on the Rainbow) and Microsoft Excel.  In other cases,
the changes make access to the 2.0 applications' menus
cumbersome.

     Third, and perhaps least significant, the screen
drivers are monochrome;  I don't have a color monitor, but
I've been told that the screen display comes up as shade of
blue on white.

     But if the limitations of the present version are real,
its benefits are equally so.  The screen and keyboard
handling are excellent.  And the printer implementation is,
except for the spooler, complete.  All the applications I've
tried will print handsomely on the LA50 or LA75, Pagemaker
included.  I haven't tried hooking up a laser printer.

     That means that applications like Draw and Paint, for
which the mouse is recommended but optional and which do not
access the communications port, perform on the Rainbow
precisely as they were designed.

     And how many Windows applications are like Draw and
Paint?  I've only tried a few, of course, but only Pagemaker
broke the rule established in Microsoft's Windows Style Guide
that every function be accessible to a machine that lacks a
mouse.  I suspect that, at this stage of the game, most
Windows applications conform.

     There is hope, moreover, of lifting some, perhaps all,
of the present version's limitations.  The prospect of
Suitable Solutions' 286 board means that Windows's sluggish
performance on the Rainbow can soon be remedied.  I'm told a
Rainbow implementation of Windows 1.03 complete with mouse
already exists.

     And from what I've learned about the innards of Windows
and the policies of Microsoft regarding Windows-related
development, I suspect we can have, if we want it, a
completely functional and current version of Windows for
general distribution, DEC's official posture of indifference
notwithstanding.  That would mean, I believe, a greatly
extended useful life for the Rainbow.

                                * * *

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (06/11/88)

In article <4061@islenet.UUCP> mmac@islenet.UUCP (Michael E. Macmillan) writes:

>The following article is from the June 1988 issue of Silicon
>Valley Rainbow, the newsletter of the Silicon Valley DEC PC Users
>Group.  I thought it so informative as to demand a broader
>audience.  It is posted here with the consent of the author and
>the editor of the newsletter.
>
>Michael E. Macmillan
>

>A glance inside Rainbow Windows
>-------------------------------
>
>By Len Berk
>Toronto, Ontario, PC group
>
>     There's good news for Rainbow users: A version of
>MS-Windows for the Rainbow exists, and some of us have had
>the chance to try it out.

[ some background deleted ]

   Simply amazing... It appears the word is out, in full!
   So, Windows does exist, hmm? ;-)  Sure looks this is
   the case.  BUT, remember, if you have a copy, do not
   call DEC or Microsoft for support.  In their minds,
   this product doesn't exist at all.  Remember, MS-DOS 3.10
   was just "found to exist" because Suitable Solutions has
   signed a marketing/rights deal with Digital.  MS-DOS 3.10
   is slated for shipment on August 1, 1988!  What EVERYONE
   needs to do is to get Suitable Solutions or some other
   established company to yank Windows out of Digital's
   clutches and have it upgraded and supported.  IF, Suitable
   Solutions releases their 80286 processor board, the
   Rainbow's life span will have extended by at least 3-5
   years.  Of course, someone will have to upgrade Windows to
   V2.04.  But, with Apple suing everyone, it's best to wait
   it out...

>implementation of Windows for the Rainbow is incomplete.
>Like MS-DOS, Windows comprises some code that's machine
>specific and some that's not.
>
>     The machine specific code resides in device drivers for
>the computer's peripherals: keyboard, serial ports, mouse,
>sound generator, and so on.  Of these, the communications
>port driver turns out to be inoperable -- it crashes the
>machine -- and the mouse driver has not been installed, so
>programs that perform serial communications or require a
>mouse won't work.
>
>     Among the standard Windows desk-top applications, the
>terminal emulator doesn't run, nor does the print spooler,

   Well, check out the version of Windows you are running.
   If the version numbers isn't 1.03.04 in the start up
   screen (and, I have seen a file timestamp of 11/19/87) then
   it's possible the comm port driver doesn't work.  I have
   seen NO problem other than speed when running TERMINAL.EXE.

   (Note here that the start-up screen for Rainbow Windows
   has a (c) of 1985 ! by Digital.  1985!  For crying out loud.
   They've been sitting on a GOLDMINE for years.  The Rainbow
   could have been one of the better Windows-machines out there
   if Digital had know what to do.  Look at the marketplace
   right now:  it's windows; Apple MACs and PC Windows!)

   I haven't played with the spooler much, but it seems to
   work.

   However, the BIGGEST, MOST ANNOYING PROBLEM is that the
   mouse doesn't work NO MATTER HOW MUCH cheese I give it!
   No serial mouse, such as Microsoft's mouse or my Logitech
   C7 mouse, works.  There is an obscure note floating around
   that the Logitech R5 mouse WILL work on the Rainbow.
   Only a couple catches here... The R5 mouse is no longer made.
   And, it connects to the PRINTER port (with an external power
   supply, of course).  Figures...

>                                                  I'm told a
>Rainbow implementation of Windows 1.03 complete with mouse
>already exists.

   If anyone knows where it is, please tell me.

   Of course, all that has been mentioned in this posting
   (including my comments) is total fantasy.  I just wish I
   had Windows.  I just know Microsoft and Digital are very
   sure that Windows doesn't exist.  And, of course, if they
   say it doesn't exist, then I am, of course, dreaming.

   Alan

   All e-mails to:   {allegra | seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   All flames to:    !lostnode!hades!flmbckt
   ------------------------+--------------------------------------------
   Alan I. Vymetalik       | Standard Disclaimer:  The above statements
   Prism Software Designs  | and opinions belong to the author.  Any
   44 Arborwood Crescent   | resemblence to statements found in actual
   Rochester, New York     | reality is simply coincidence.  And, as
   14615-3807              | always, the above opinions have absolutely
   (716)-458-4932 (8-10pm) | nothing to do with the little, fat man
   (leave message)         | putting $100 bills in my pocket.
   ------------------------+--------------------------------------------

macmillm@ewc.bitnet (10/25/89)

Here's the whole Windows announcement from Suitable Solutions:

MICROSOFT WINDOWS/286 FOR THE DEC RAINBOW

What is Microsoft Windows/286?
------------------------------
Microsoft Windows/286 is an extension to the MS-DOS operating
system.  With Windows, the user interface is in a consistent
graphics-based form that can use a mouse to select files and
commands.  Applications software written for the Windows operating
environment on an IBM PC will run under the Windows operating
environment on the Rainbow.  With Windows, you no longer need to
think in terms of "Rainbow versions" and "IBM versions" of
software!

The complete Windows package for the Rainbow consists of Microsoft
Windows/286 v2.11 and a Microsoft Mouse, along with the Rainbow
Adaptation Kit developed by Leonard Berk Consulting for
distribution by Suitable Solutions.

What Can I Do With Windows/286 on My Rainbow?
With Windows/286, the restrictions on IBM-compatible bit-mapped
graphics and communications software on the Rainbow is finally
lifted.  Graphics-based software written for Windows, such as Aldus
PageMaker, Samna Ami, Corel Draw!, and Micrografx Designer, and
communications software written for Windows, such as DCA Crosstalk,
can now be run on the Rainbow.

As the popularity of the Windows interface continues to grow, more
and more developers are bringing out applications to work within
the Windows environment.  Microsoft Excel, a powerful and very
popular spreadsheet for Windows, and Precision Software's Superbase
2, a database package for Windows, are examples of the kind of
business-oriented packages for Windows that now run on the Rainbow,
too, using the Rainbow Adaptation Kit for Microsoft Windows/286.

When you work with Windows, you will generally be using a mouse as
a pointing device to select items from pull-down menus and boxes
with multiple-choice answers.  Some people enjoy this mode of
interacting with the computer more than typing commands at the
keyboard.

Windows brings to the Rainbow the ability to use new and
interesting graphics-based software in the same way that it is used
on an IBM-compatible system.  With Windows, Rainbow users no longer
have to feel left behind in the areas of graphics, desktop
publishing, and communications.

What CAN'T I Do with Windows/286 on my Rainbow?
Windows/286 for the IBM contains several features that are not
available in the Rainbow version.  If you've never used the IBM
version of Windows, these probably won't be a problem to you, but
for those who are already familiar with Windows, please note these
differences.  With the Rainbow adaptation of Windows/286:

1.  You won't be able to execute DOS commands from within Windows.
    To format a disk, for instance, you must exit Windows and use the
    MS-DOS FORMAT command.

2.  Applications that run under Windows on an IBM as "standard"
    applications will not run under Rainbow Windows.  These are
    applications that were written for MS-DOS, not specifically for
    Windows.  To run such IBM MS-DOS applications on the Rainbow, you
    will have to exit Windows and use Code Blue, the PC-DOS emulator.

3.  The initial release of Windows for the Rainbow will be
    monochrome only, even if used on a color monitor.

4.  The keyboard autorepeat rate cannot be reprogrammed in Windows
    for the Rainbow.

5.  You will not be able to use memory management software such as
    SMARTDrive or RAMdrive on the Rainbow.

6.  The initial release supports only the U.S. keyboard.

What Else Do I Need Before I Can Run Windows?
The minimum configuration on your Rainbow for installing Windows
is:

     640Kb of RAM
     Hard disk with at least 2 Mb free
     Rainbow Graphics Option
     MS-DOS v3.10 from Suitable Solutions

You are likely to find the speed and the installation process
somewhat frustrating without the following additional items:

     IDRIVE IBM-compatible floppy drive
     Turbow-286 accelerator board
     Code Blue
     Microsoft mouse

This implies that the most satisfactory performance of Windows will
be on 100B or 100+ Rainbows, which can use the Turbow-286 board.

How Can I Order Windows?
------------------------
To order Windows for your Rainbow, you need to know:

     Your MS-DOS v3.10 serial number
     What type of IDRIVE you will be using (if any)

You must have MS-DOS v3.10 from Suitable Solutions.  The Microsoft
Windows/286 retail distribution kit comes with two types of diskettes:

     5-1/4" 1.2 Mb (high-density), and
     3-1/2" 720Kb (double-density)

>>> IF YOU HAVE A 3-1/2" IDRIVE:

If you have a 3-1/2" IDRIVE, installation will be very
straightforward.  Order model #WIN2C, which includes the complete
Windows/286 retail kit including Microsoft Mouse, as well as the
Rainbow Adaptation Kit for Windows/286.

>>> IF YOU HAVE A 5-1/4" IDRIVE:

If you have a 5-1/4" IDRIVE, you cannot use the 1.2 Mb diskettes
provided, but will have to obtain Windows on 360Kb 5-1/4" format
diskettes.  There are two ways of doing this:

Either:   Order model #WIN2C, which includes the complete
          Windows/286 retail kit including Microsoft Mouse, as well
          as the Rainbow Adaptation Kit for Windows/286.  When you
          receive your Windows kit, send in (to Microsoft) the
          conversion request form with your registration card and
          proof of purchase.  Microsoft will send you, at no
          charge, the entire set of 360Kb 5-1/4" diskettes you will
          need.

Or:       Call Suitable Solutions to get the Suitable Solutions
          Windows license agreement.  Sign and return the agreement
          form with your order for model #WIN2I, which includes the
          complete Windows/286 retail kit including Microsoft
          Mouse, a complete set of the Windows/286 disks in 360Kb
          format, and the Rainbow Adaptation Kit for Windows/286.
          (The license agreement authorizes Suitable Solutions to
          open your package and obtain 360Kb format diskettes for
          you in advance, before shipping the Windows kit to you.)

>>> IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN IDRIVE:

If you do not have an IDRIVE at all, and you intend to work with
Windows applications extensively, you should seriously consider
investing in a 3-1/2" IDRIVE.  Most Windows applications today are
distributed on this type of media, or on 1.2Mb 5-1/4" diskettes.
Many companies have conversion programs similar to the one
described above from Microsoft, but none will convert diskettes to
RX50 format.

However, if you still wish to purchase Windows but do not plan to
install an IDRIVE, Suitable Solutions will perform the conversion
for you for an additional charge.  Again, you must first get our
Suitable Solutions Windows license agreement, which authorizes us
to open your package, obtain the 360Kb format diskettes, and then
convert those diskettes to RX50 format diskettes on your behalf.
Sign and return the agreement with your order for model #WIN2R, and
you will receive the complete Windows/286 retail kit including
Microsoft Mouse, a complete set of Windows/286 disks in 360Kb
format, and a complete set of Windows/286 disks in RX50 format,
along with the Rainbow Adaptation Kit for Windows/286.

>>> IF YOU ALREADY HAVE WINDOWS AND A MOUSE

The Rainbow Adaptation Kit is available separately if you already
have Windows/286 (note: version 2.11 is required).  Order model
#WINRAK.  If you already have MS-DOS v3.10, you will be asked for
your serial number when you order.  Remember that you must have the
Windows/286 software in a format that can be loaded directly into the
Rainbow, and simply copying files from the 1.2 Mb diskettes will not
work.

>>> FOR ORDERS FROM OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES

Although we can sell the Rainbow Adaptation Kit outside the United
States, Suitable Solutions cannot sell Windows/286 outside the U.S.
Therefore, Rainbow users in other countries should contact their
Microsoft subsidiary office for the names of local dealers or
distributors.  (Suitable Solutions has a list of Microsoft
subsidiary offices and phone numbers that we can mail or FAX upon
request.)

>>> WINDOWS SUPPORT

When you purchase the Rainbow Adaptation Kit you will receive 30
days of Windows installation support from Suitable Solutions.
However, this installation support, regrettably, will not extend
to Windows applications; we simply do not have the resources.

You may want to consider investing in a Rainbow Windows Support
Agreement.  This one-year support contract, available from the
developer, Leonard Berk Consulting, includes unlimited telephone
support beyond the 30-day installation period, free updates,
support for installing Windows applications, and a quarterly
newsletter specifically geared to Rainbow Windows users.  Contact
Len here on CompuServe for more detailed information (User ID
#73547,1403) or by telephone at (416) 260-0348, or by mail at
Leonard Berk Consulting, 401 Queen's Quay West, Suite 309, Toronto,
Ontario M5V 2Y2, CANADA.

>>> PRICES

WIN2C     $275
Complete Windows/286 kit including Microsoft Mouse and Rainbow
Adaptation Kit, on 3-1/2" 720Kb disks (usable with 3-1/2" IDRIVE)
and 5-1/4" 1.2Mb disks (cannot be installed on Rainbow, but may be
exchanged through Microsoft directly for 5-1/4" 360Kb disks usable
in a 5-1/4" IDRIVE).

WIN2I     $275
Complete Windows/286 kit including Microsoft Mouse and Rainbow
Adaptation Kit, on 5-1/4" 360Kb disks (usable with 5-1/4" IDRIVE).
You must first agree to the pass-through of Microsoft's license
statement so that we can open the original kit and exhange the 5-
1/4" 1.2Mb disks on your behalf.

WIN2R     $350
Complete Windows/286 kit including Microsoft Mouse and Rainbow
Adaptation Kit, on RX50 diskettes (usable without an IDRIVE).  You
must first agree to the pass-through of Microsoft's license
statement so that we can open the original kit and exchange the 5-
1/4" 1.2 Mb disks on your behalf.

WINRAK    $ 89
Rainbow Adaptation Kit only (software, manual, and keyboard map).
If you already have Microsoft Windows/286 and a Microsoft Mouse,
you can order this option.  Note that you still must have Windows
in a format that can be installed on the Rainbow, and Windows/286
must be version 2.11.

Windows Support Agreement     $100
Not available through Suitable Solutions; please contact Leonard
Berk Consulting directly, at the address and phone number listed
above.

If you need any further information, please contact Suitable
Solutions here on CompuServe, user ID #76666,3003, or call us at
(408) 727-9090, or write to us at 1700 Wyatt Drive, Suite 12, Santa
Clara, California 95054, or send us a FAX at (408) 727-0823.

Michael E. Macmillan
CompuServe: 74206,577
Bitnet    : macmillm@ewc
GEnie     : macmillan