[net.music] Dire Straits request

hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA (08/29/85)

From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
% From: ccs009@ucdavis.UUCP (Dennis Michaels)
% Subject: Dire Straits--Brothers in Arms
% Date: Wed, 28-Aug-85 20:21:18 EDT

> 	I'm interested in what all of you in net-land think of Dire
> Straits' latest efforts, Thats right any and all comments appreciated.

I saw Dire Straits recently at Merriwether Post Pavillon in Columbia,MD
and really enjoyed the show.  This band worked hard for their pay.  Until
then, I was not very familiar with DS music.  Sure, I had heard Sultans
and Industrial Disease and Twisting by the Pool but had never delved into
any of their work past the first one.

Then, Brothers in Arms came out and I liked how it sounded.  (Yes, Doug,
I do like some popular pop groups!)  I was disappointed when I heard
they had done a video for 'money for music' and still haven't seen it so I
won't flame.

Multiple DeadHeads showed up at that show and I wondered if they felt
like me that Mark Knopler could play Jerry Garcia's black tshirt of his obese
frame.  What intensity!  What stamina!  Well, here, ala net.music.gdead
is a half remembered song list:

Ride across the River
One World
Expresso Love
Private Investigation
Romeo and Juliey
Tunnel of Love
Walk of Life
Sultans of
Swing
$ for nothing
Wild West End
Your Latest Trick
-----encore #1-----
Brothers in Arms
-----encore #2-----
Solid Rock
Coming Home (theme from 'Local Hero')

******thanks to bolero (cunni@amsaa for the list ... I wish I had his tape
recorder memory!********(hey jase, if you write a review of Deep Purple show

These were long encores and Coming Home was *so* magestic and wonderful that
the audience could hardly scream for more being so delapidated and satiated.
A wonderful show, really.  Now if Merriwether would only get rid of those
facist green shirts soze we pavillon nuts could dance in the aisles ....

							Jim