[comp.sys.dec.micro] C compiler for Rainbow

BOBW@cc.usu.edu (BOB WOOD WA7MXZ) (01/08/90)

I am in need of a 'C' compiler for a Rainbow. Are there any available
on the market? Thanks.
Bob Wood
bobw@cc.usu.edu, Utah State University, Logan, Utah

GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (George A. Theall) (01/11/90)

>I am in need of a 'C' compiler for a Rainbow. Are there any available
>on the market? Thanks.

   I'm not aware of any compilers specifically for the Rainbow, and
what follows assumes you're working in MS-DOS, not CP/M.

   If you're content to use the stand-alone compiler, almost any
package will work once you move it to the Rainbow. I've personally
used DeSmet C v2.something, Microsoft C v3.0, and TURBO C v2.0. (I
did, though, have to patch the latter so it wouldn't hang the system.)
I believe Michael Branton uses Let's C, and just last week Jim
Karsten reported he's been using Mix C for about 2 years now on
his Rainbow.  Older implementations of Lattice and Computer Innov.
compilers were also quite popular on Rainbows here at Penn.

   Compilers in the PC world have evolved with some quite interesting
integrated development environments (IDEs). Understandably, you'll
have problems running these on a stock Rainbow. If you have already
Code Blue and MS-DOS v3.10b from Suitable Solutions, though, you're
much luckier. The IDEs for TURBO C v1.5 and v2.0 run fine in this
setup. A prof here at Penn runs Quick C (sorry, don't know which
version); I believe he needs Code Blue (Josh?). DeSmet C comes with
source for its display routines which can be tailored for the Rainbow
and relinked with code for their editor and source-level debugger. It's
a hassle, but it works.

   Hope this has been of some help,

George

---
BITNET: GTHEALL@PennDRLS               Dept. of Economics
Internet: GTHEALL@PennDRLS.UPenn.Edu   University of Pennsylvania
AT+TNet: +1 215 898 3419               Philadelphia, PA   19104-3987

karsten@decatl.dec.com (Jim Karsten) (01/12/90)

In article <9001102205.AA09553@remote.dccs.upenn.edu> GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (George A. Theall) writes:
>>I am in need of a 'C' compiler for a Rainbow. Are there any available
>>on the market? Thanks.
>
>   I'm not aware of any compilers specifically for the Rainbow, and
>what follows assumes you're working in MS-DOS, not CP/M.
>
>   If you're content to use the stand-alone compiler, almost any
>package will work once you move it to the Rainbow. I've personally
>used DeSmet C v2.something, Microsoft C v3.0, and TURBO C v2.0. (I
>did, though, have to patch the latter so it wouldn't hang the system.)
>I believe Michael Branton uses Let's C, and just last week Jim
>Karsten reported he's been using Mix C for about 2 years now on
>his Rainbow.  Older implementations of Lattice and Computer Innov.
>compilers were also quite popular on Rainbows here at Penn.
>
>   Compilers in the PC world have evolved with some quite interesting
>integrated development environments (IDEs). Understandably, you'll
>have problems running these on a stock Rainbow. If you have already
>Code Blue and MS-DOS v3.10b from Suitable Solutions, though, you're
>much luckier. The IDEs for TURBO C v1.5 and v2.0 run fine in this
>setup. A prof here at Penn runs Quick C (sorry, don't know which
>version); I believe he needs Code Blue (Josh?). DeSmet C comes with
>source for its display routines which can be tailored for the Rainbow
>and relinked with code for their editor and source-level debugger. It's
>a hassle, but it works.
>
>   Hope this has been of some help,
>
>George
>
>---
>BITNET: GTHEALL@PennDRLS               Dept. of Economics
>Internet: GTHEALL@PennDRLS.UPenn.Edu   University of Pennsylvania
>AT+TNet: +1 215 898 3419               Philadelphia, PA   19104-3987

      There is and outfit in Richardson TX called MIX software
they make a C compiler or at least they used to call MIXC and it
would work on the rainbow. Microsoft C and CI86 will also work.
There some spiceal functions that will not work on the Rainbow.

 Hope this help's

 P.S. The MIXC was 19.95 about two years ago.

Jim
--
Jim Karsten
Digital Equipment Corporation

rxf@genrad.com ( Ruben D. Fagundo ) (01/12/90)

Could someone please tell me what are the patches required for Turbo C 2.0.

I'd like to try and use Turbo C 2.0 on the Rainbow.

Ruben