From: hoptoad!pozar (Tim Pozar)
Newsgroups: comp.newprod
Subject: UFGATE
Date: 17 Jan 89 16:47:20 GMT
Sender: usenet@mcdchg.chi.il.us

        Late Night Software is proud to announce UFGATE.

     UFGATE is a package that will move files, mail, and news-
groups back and forth between UUCP/USENET and MS-DOS machines.
The package will gate between UUCP/USENET and FidoNet or you can
just run the package stand-alone, effectively being a leaf site
in UUCP/USENET.

     UFGATE runs on IBM-PC/XT/AT or PS/2 machines or compatibles.
UFGATE will also work with MS-DOS or PC-DOS machines that are not
100 percent IBM-PC hardware compatible with an appropriate FOSSIL
(a communications device driver).  This is needed for the UUCICO
clone, GNUUCP (aka. UUSLAVE).

     The GNUUCP program has been brought up to a full implementa-
tion of UUCICO with routines so it can run with the MS-DOS file
structure.  You can initiate or receive UUCP connections and
there is full support for l.sys files.  You can even use it with
PC Pursuit.

     The package will handle the importing, exporting of UUCP
messages, and also the automatic deletion of old USENET newsgroup
messages.  UFGATE will also handle mail/newsgroups that have been
either 12 or 16 bit compressed.

     UFGATE can handle either UUCP bang-style, ARPA/INTERNET
domain style, or a hybrid of both.  It can also handle aliases
for individuals or machine names.  Message forwarding is also
built in.  UFGATE can handle multiple hosts.

     Message formatting, like the automatic appending of
individual signature files, is supported.

     Detailed debugging is available, so setup is easier.

     UFGATE is free to non-commercial, non-supported users.  If
you are interested in support, which includes updates for a year,
the Late Night Software telephone support service, and a hard
copy of the manual, a $35 fee is asked.  If you are a commercial
site, you will automatically get the support described above, and
the manual for $195.  Support is available to all users via the
UFGATE echo on FidoNet.

     You can download the UFGATE package from the Late Night
Software BBS at:
                    +1 415 695 0759.

     Currently we have a 9600b/s V-Series Hayes modem.  The time
to transfer the file (UFGATE.ARC) at 9600b/s is 10 minutes, or at
2400b/s, it would be about 40 minutes.

     We also accept floppies.  You can send either 360Kbyte or
1.2Mbyte, five and a quarter inch floppies.  If you send 360Kbyte
floppies, send four.  The package will fit completely on one
1.2Mbyte floppy.  The floppies should be pre-formatted on your
machine.

     Send the floppies in a standard floppy mailer with a return
label, and return postage to:
        Late Night Software
        Tim Pozar
        671 28th Street
        San Francisco, CA 94131

     If you have further questions, you can write us at the above
address, or call us at +1 415 695 7727, or write to the Email
address below.

Internet: lns@f555.n125.z1.fidonet.org
    UUCP: ...!sun!hoptoad!fidogate!lns
--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108

iav1917%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (alan i. vymetalik) (01/13/90)

In article <Added.8ZfEzP_00UkTIXDE8E@andrew.cmu.edu> MGB@STETSON.BITNET writes:

>RE : uucp on a rainbow.
>
>I've been using the ufgate package described below. You will need
>the fossil driver mentioned. It is available on compuserve and various
>rainbow boards, and possibly in the info-dec-micro archives. You will
>also need a mail reader or fido software.

    Greetings,

    Every now and then something sparks my interest here...  I'm real busy
    these days and I don't have as much free time as I used to have.
    However, running UUCP on my Rainbow sounds like a wonderful idea.
    Getting the software and get it running sounds fairly straightforward.
    I'll even splurge the $35.00.

    What I want to know is:

        "Where is there a 'public access' Unix system running UUCP that
        could connect to and not have to pay an arm and leg other than
        the long distance call?  How do I go about linking up to a network
        node as a "leaf node" and receiving mail, sending files, etc."

    Thanks in advance, as always...

   Enjoy,
   alan

   Alan I. Vymetalik, 2244 East Avenue #5, Rochester, New York, 14610-2518
                      USA, Phone: (716)-271-8528
     ...!rochester!ritcv!iav1917  -or-  ...!rochester!rit!ritcv!iav1917
        ritcv!iav1917@rochester.UUCP  -or-  iav1917%ritcv@cs.rit.edu
     /If I can't be reached via any of the above e-paths, please write./

Frank.Mallory@f123.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Mallory) (01/16/90)

 >     What I want to know is:
 >
 >         "Where is there a 'public access' Unix system running
 > UUCP that
 >         could connect to and not have to pay an arm and
 > leg other than
 >         the long distance call?  How do I go about linking
 > up to a network

There is a file NIXPUB.ZIP here that lists 70 "public access" nodes running
uucp.  Some are free, whereas others charge an access fee.

--

	Frank Mallory at The Black Cat's Shack (Fidonet 1:109/401)
	Internet:  Frank.Mallory@f123.n109.z1.fidonet.org

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (01/16/90)

In article <354.25B203CA@blkcat.fidonet.org> Frank.Mallory@f123.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Mallory) writes:

<query about getting a feed deleted>

>There is a file NIXPUB.ZIP here that lists 70 "public access" nodes running
>uucp.  Some are free, whereas others charge an access fee.

Don't confuse a feed with an guest account.  NIXPUB list places
endusers can get accounts. Many, many, other places may grant you feed
access. This is essential to the 'good neighbor' policy that underlies
the net.

To find one, start with the map entries for your area. Some
people say they will give feeds in the comments. Also, check
with system admins @ university sites in your local calling
area.

All this is helped by being on the net already. I know that
sounds like catch 22.... Not only can you find names to contact,
but if you are somewhat active, and not JEDR, JJ or otherwise
Internetfamous ;-}, your good name will proceed you.

Good Luck!
--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM