[comp.sys.dec.micro] Unix for 11/23

v076n3w7@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (03/22/90)

I see that there is yet another person desperately searching for
a Unix OS for the q-bus PDP systems.

I am also looking for a copy of Unix for the PDP, but that is
not why I am posting.

On the note of 18- and 22-bit architectures, the 11/23 IS a 22-bit
microcomputer. I know this as I am running an 11/23 with 1 meg
of memory.

The memory limitations, however, are in the backplane.

If the backplane being used is a BA11-SA, then it's 22-bit.

I forgot the other types of q-bus backplanes, but I think the
BA11-N is 18- or 16-bit.

Chris Kalisiak
V076N3W7@ubvms.bitnet
v076N3W7@cc.buffalo.edu

swilson@pprg.unm.edu (Scott Wilson [CHTM]) (03/22/90)

In article <694.26076f6d@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu> v076n3w7@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>The memory limitations, however, are in the backplane.
>
>If the backplane being used is a BA11-SA, then it's 22-bit.
>
>I forgot the other types of q-bus backplanes, but I think the
>BA11-N is 18- or 16-bit.
>
>Chris Kalisiak
>V076N3W7@ubvms.bitnet
>v076N3W7@cc.buffalo.edu

This is indeed the case. However, if you are brave, you can whip out your
handy wire-wrap tool and add the missing lines to your backplane! I have
done this several times. Just be sure to follow the LSI-11 Bus Technical
Specs.

This sometimes doesn't work (on real old backplanes) because DEC connected
all the SPAREx lines that would later become BDAL{18-21} to the ground plane!
On some other backplanes these were bussed between slots, but just werent
used. On others they are not bussed, but not connected between slots either
and these are the ones you can wire-wrap to be full Q22. Just be sure
to keep the wires close the backplane or you may mess up the RF impedance
of the added lines.

Check out your backplane with VOM (and with all the cards out) before you
start to be sure you get everything right.

Scott Wilson
University of New Mexico
Center for High Technology Materials
Albuqerque, NM 87131