[comp.sys.dec.micro] ST-225 formats to 10 Mb on my Rainbow

chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Chaim Dworkin) (03/27/90)

In article <3694@rtifs1.UUCP> bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) writes:
>In article <7cbmira01@ULKYVX.bitnet>, cbmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET writes:
>> My boss, Paul, is having exactly the same trouble as Chaim Dworkin,
>> with adding a SeaGate ST-225 hard drive to his Rainbow 100+.
>>
>> Paul is only seeing 10Mb, even though the drive itself is a 20Mb!
>>
>> Would some knowledgeable person please post the answer to this riddle?!
>> To Chaim:  if we learn something, we'll send you a note.. Would you
>> send us anything you learn??

Bruce Wright replies:

>This is almost certainly because you are using one of the older
>format programs that didn't expect to ever see a hard drive larger
>than 10 MB.  Several newer ones exist - such as WUTIL - that allow
>you to format larger disks.  The Rainbow can support any drive with
>an ST506 interface that PC can, but some of the early hard disk
>software was sufficiently brain-damaged that it doesn't know how to
>deal with the larger drives.

Apparently you missed my first post.  I formatted the disk using DEC's
early version of a hard disk prep program and got 10Mb.  I was then
advised to use WUTIL.  When I used WUTIL v3 it  also formtted to 10Mb
and refused to let me repartition to any size larger.  WUTIL told me it
saw a RD50 (I forgot what it was called but it's DEC's 10Mb drive)  The
drive had been used previously in a Pro-350 as a 20 Mb drive and was a
real ST-225 so I'm fairly certian it is a 20Mb.

>The more important question is, why are you using a Seagate ST-225?

Easy answer.....  someone gave it to me free.

Chaim Dworkin

chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu