[comp.sys.dec.micro] books and backplanes.

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (05/04/90)

In article <9F5AB725BE3F800A94@Arizona.EDU>, UA_HACKS%EVAX2@ARIZONA.BITNET (Hardware and Computing Knowledge Society) writes:
> II.   I have a Pdp 11/34 with a second Unibus but I don't have the connector,
>       is this a standard connector the same as the Vax 11/750 and 780's?

Just a plain old UNIBUS cable. It's a wide flat white cable with paddle cards
on each end.

> III.  I need a Unibus for a Vax 11/780 and I have one on my Pdp 11/34 can I just
>       rip it off and insert it? Also there is a RK06 series of drive controller
>       cards in there, are they compatible?

We're using an 11/34 backplane as an expansion box in our 730. I think the
CPU portion's got a special configuration (DD11-PK instead of the normal
-CK or DK), so you might want to get a new bit of backplane to mount in
there. We've got a -DK in ours.

> V.    I want to transfer some information between a Pdp 11/23 and a /34,
>       However the information is on seperate drives /23(RL02), /34(RK06),
>       ideally I would like to hook up the RL02 to the /34 and just copy
>       information. Does anybody know who sells a controller for the /34 for
>       RL02 drives? If that doesn't work out how else can I do this besides
>       kermit (which I don't have).

A number of used DEC equipment places (such as Newman Computer Exchange
whose number escapes me and ONYX Computers Inc. @ 1-800-668-1817) sell
UNIBUS RL02 controllers. ONYX' latest catalog has the RL11 listed at
$110.

> VI.   Is there any way to attach a q-bus to a unibus? does the bit size of the
>       bus matter?

You need Able's QNIVERTER. It works both ways: Q-BUS to UNIBUS and vice-versa.
UNIBUS things will only be able to talk to the first 248KB of memory and
the I/O page of the QBUS, so don't try to do 22-bit things with it. Able
is at 714-553-1188.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321