[comp.sys.dec.micro] PKZIP v1.10 on Rainbow

GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (George A. Theall) (05/08/90)

   Just in case you were wondering about this, the latest version
of Phil Katz's file compression utilities (PKZIP and PKUNZIP v1.10)
should run fine on DEC Rainbows. This comes straight from Phil
himself:

                   ----- snip, snip, snip -----
PKZIP, PKUNZIP, PKSFX, PKSFXjr, ZIP2EXE, PKZIPFIX, etc. should
all be 100% MS-DOS generic.  None of the software makes any
BIOS calls or directly manipulates any hardware or I/O devices.
As far as I know, the software should work just fine on
DEC-Rainbows, Sanyo's, Epson's, and other non IBM compatible
MS-DOS computers.

>Phil>
---
 ~ EZ 1.26 #234 ~ La vache qui rit est jolie.
 ~ QNet 2.04: InterLink: MicroSellar BBS ~ Verona ~ NJ ~ (201)239-1346
                   ----- snip, snip, snip -----

George

---
BITNET: GTHEALL@PennDRLS               Dept. of Economics
Internet: GTHEALL@PennDRLS.UPenn.Edu   University of Pennsylvania
AT+TNet: +1 215 898 3419               Philadelphia, PA   19104-3987

imp@dancer.Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) (05/08/90)

In article <9005081227.AA28788@remote.dccs.upenn.edu> GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (George A. Theall) writes:
>   Just in case you were wondering about this, the latest version
>of Phil Katz's file compression utilities (PKZIP and PKUNZIP v1.10)
>should run fine on DEC Rainbows.

I've used PKZIP and PKUNZIP on the Rainbow under DOS 2.11 and 3.10b.
It seems to work just fine, apart from being slower than when I run it
on that 25 MHz 386 that used to be in my office :-)

Phil>As far as I know, the software should work just fine on
Phil>DEC-Rainbows, Sanyo's, Epson's, and other non IBM compatible
Phil>MS-DOS computers.

Can't speak for the other PCs listed, but I haven't had any problems
with it on the Rainbow.  That usually is a good indication that it
will work anywhere.

Keep up the good work Phil.

Warner Losh
imp@Solbourne.COM