[comp.sys.dec.micro] Code Blue, Was: Re: Rainbow hard drives

kelly@cs.umn.edu (Shaun P. Kelly) (05/24/90)

 I've seen a few postings about Code Blue, and I have gotten the
Date: 23 May 90 15:18:05 GMT

general impression it's some sort of compatibility enhancing software,
maybe some kind of OS patches.  Could you give me a basic summary, with
attention to the serial port handling, if it is?

 Also, are there any places available to get hard drives/controllers for
Rainbow 100's at the present time?  Thanks..

--
Shaun Kelly, kelly@umn-cs.cs.emn.edu
	     Shaun@Avalon (Citadel-86 Network)

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (05/27/90)

Code Blue is an emulator. It helps RB's run non-graphic PeeCee software
by trapping some of the interrupts that mean different thing to a
Rainbow, and sending them where they belong. It also helped on the
video problem by trapping screen write calls, and regurgating them into
Rainbow video section, which, I seem to recall, is run by the Z-80. At
the same time, it gives you the option of seeing either the first or
last 24 lines. You can 'jump' via a keystroke at any time.

It grabs the keyboard, and gives you <ALT> keys with the 'compose
character' key. The remaining function keys {ie F11....} go
nowhere.

It's not perfect. Even with the Suitable Solution improvements, it, for
example, cannot run the PTR Program from WordPerfect 5.  It, can
however, run WordPerfect and even the Bitstream fonts generator, no
small feats. {Don't bother doing the latter - making and downloading
fonts is SO slow, you won't want to.}

Serial ports should work just fine. It includes an LPT driver to
convince programs that think there is a parallel port to really
talk to the serial printer one.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

kelly@cs.umn.edu (Shaun P. Kelly) (05/31/90)

 I've seen a few postings about Code Blue, and I have gotten the