[comp.sys.dec.micro] IBM PC floppies on Rainbow?

kushall.Henr@XEROX.COM (06/27/90)

You can not read/write std IBM 360K floppy on the rainbow RX50 drive

The IBM 360K format is DSD at 48 TPID
The Rainbow drive is single sidded SSDQ at 96 TPI

You can read write the IBM 175K format SSDD

imp@dancer.Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) (06/28/90)

While this is a little out of the thread, I have a warning for you.  A
couple weeks ago I stated that you could use the AT HD floppies.
Well, last night I had four of them fail on me at once.  All were HD
floppies that had been working fine.  No DD floppies were failing.  I
even had problems reformatting the HD's.  So, either my disk drive has
finally given up the ghost, or these HD disks are to blame.

--
Warner Losh			imp@Solbourne.COM

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (06/29/90)

In article <1990Jun28.162214.4880@Solbourne.COM>, imp@dancer.Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) writes:
> While this is a little out of the thread, I have a warning for you.  A
> couple weeks ago I stated that you could use the AT HD floppies.
> Well, last night I had four of them fail on me at once.  All were HD
> floppies that had been working fine.  No DD floppies were failing.  I
> even had problems reformatting the HD's.  So, either my disk drive has
> finally given up the ghost, or these HD disks are to blame.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised that they worked at all. The high density
disks use a different media with a different coercivity. I've never been
able to, for instance, format a 1.44M 3.5" disk at 720K. My boss, an
analog guy, mumbled things about filter frequencies and how the head and
media form some kind of filter, but I didn't understand it. I'm just a
lowly software type.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

perry@MCL.UNISYS.COM (Dennis Perry) (07/02/90)

I guess I will copy all the DSHD disk I have been using with no problems for
the past year to DSDD disks.  I did not reliaize I should not use them.  They
work with no problems for me, but I sure don't want to have problems in
the future with important data stored on them.

dennis