[comp.sys.dec.micro] Pro 350 ports

Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) (08/11/90)

Ive got some questions regarding the ports on the back of the
Pro 350.

The first is the printer port, marked PR 1. It looks like a 9-pin
sub-D connector. Can anyone give me the pinouts of this, so I can
attach a printer to it (I assume its a serial port)?

Also, the port marked NET 1, just what is this port?

Thanx!

Billy D'Augustine
Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (08/13/90)

In article <32664@cup.portal.com>, Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes:

> Also, the port marked NET 1, just what is this port?

That's your Ethernet port. I'm jealous; I don't have the Ethernet hardware.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

steve@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Steve Mitchell) (08/15/90)

Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes:

>Ive got some questions regarding the ports on the back of the
>Pro 350.

>Also, the port marked NET 1, just what is this port?

I called DEC on this one.  If you have a connector at this port, you
have an Ethernet interface.  Unfortunately, that connector requires an
outboard Ethernet transceiver (about $300) to actually attach to a
network, and you need software.  DEC put out DECnet for P/OS, and I'm
sure there's a DECnet version for RT-11.  Does anyone know if there's
a (near)free implementation of TCP/IP around for P/OS?  Or a UNIX for
this beast, hopefully including TCP/IP?  For that matter, how does one
come by RT-11 for the Pro350?

>Thanx!

You're more than welcome.  Us Pro-wners got to hang together!

--
		-  Steve Mitchell	steve@cps.altadena.ca.us
					grian!steve@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

WNIMHACK%WSU.DECNET@MSUS1.BITNET ("Bruce R. Mitchell / WNIMHACK%WSU.DECNET@MSUS1.BITNET") (08/15/90)

Steve Mitchell (steve@cps.altadena.ca.us) writes re the Pro NET1 port:

> If you have a connector at this port, you have an Ethernet interface.

I'm not sure this is correct.  Digital quotes the Ethernet option for a
Professional as a DECNA-K, a $1900 option.  My Pro 380 has a NET1
connector, but Pro/DECnet reports no Ethernet controller present.

> For that matter, how does one come by RT-11 for the Pro350?

It was submitted to the DECUS program library with numerous other Pro
software packages.

Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) (08/21/90)

Well, it seems that there are still quite a few Pro users out there:-)

Now for my next trick...

Anyone care to share some of your Pro software with me? I am running
P/OS 3.2, with the Pro/Toolkit, and limited software (FORTRAN, MACRO,
Kermit, and a few others)...

Billy D'Augustine
Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com