[comp.sys.dec.micro] Pro 350 printer port

BECK@VUVAXCOM.BITNET (08/23/90)

I have successfully connected a printer to the 9 pin printer port on a
Pro 350 guessing the following pin outs

Pin 1 - Frame Ground
Pin 2 - TXD
Pin 3 - RXD
Pin 4 - CTS
Pin 5 - RTS
Pin 6 - DSR
Pin 7 - Signal Ground
Pin 8 - ?
Pin 9 - ?

and with a Brother M 1509 and a Panasonic KP 1091 connecting on its serial
port

Pro  printer
  1 -> 1
  2 -> 3
  3 -> 2
  6 -> 20
  7 -> 7

Bob Beck
beck@vuvaxcom

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (08/24/90)

In article <Added.kaog4US00Ui3Q_r096@andrew.cmu.edu>, BECK@VUVAXCOM.BITNET writes:
> I have successfully connected a printer to the 9 pin printer port on a
> Pro 350 guessing the following pin outs
>
> Pin 8 - ?
> Pin 9 - ?

If you connect pins 8 and 9 together, the printer port becomes a standard
DEC console port; i.e., when the PDP-11 halts, micro-ODT knows how to talk
to the printer port.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

tmiller@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (08/24/90)

Bob:  If you connect pins 8 and 9 together you'll have a console port
on your PRO 350.  so, 1 is gnd,2&3 are the same as for the printer, 7 is
grounded, 4, 5 and 6 I can never keep straight but it helps put DSR into TRM
sometimes.  Of course you will need a terminal too.  I have one cable which
I use as a printer cable and a console port cable because the printer doesn't
use 8 or 9.  If you turn the console off while it is plugged in it halts th
-e PRO as if a break were pressed.

                                                  Todd Miller
                                         tmiller@binah.cc.brandeis.edu
                                         tmiller@caos.caos.kun.nl