[net.micro] modem selection

fpm@uofm-cv.UUCP (Frank P. Miles) (01/12/85)

Simple (?) question: any ideas as to selection of a good modem at a
"reasonable" price (1200 baud)?  Is the recent posting of Qubie problems
unusual?? How about the Prometheus Promodem??  The Hayes is just too
expensive (at least for grad students).  Any help here would be appreciated
.  Oh yes.  Soon, plez.
					Frank Miles

howard@utcs.UUCP (Howard Lem) (01/16/85)

[Munch, Munch; Chomp, Chomp; mmmm!]

In article <612@uofm-cv.UUCP> fpm@uofm-cv.UUCP (Frank P. Miles) writes:
>Simple (?) question: any ideas as to selection of a good modem at a
>"reasonable" price (1200 baud)?  Is the recent posting of Qubie problems
>unusual?? How about the Prometheus Promodem??  The Hayes is just too
>expensive (at least for grad students).  Any help here would be appreciated
>.  Oh yes.  Soon, plez.
>					Frank Miles

The U.S. Robotics 'Password(tm)' modem is a very reliable, easy to use,
compact modem, offering auto answer/dial, 1200/300 baud operation, as
well as numerous other features.  I have been using this modem now
for several weeks, and I am pleased with it.
   The best part, however, is the *PRICE* --- about $460 in Canada, I
would expect it to be substantially less (possibly < $400) in the US.

-----
Howard Lem
{ihnp4,decvax,cbosgd,utzoo}!utcs!howard

STEVE GRIMALDI <GRIM@UMD2> (01/22/85)

>Simple (?) question: any ideas as to selection of a good modem at a
>"reasonable" price (1200 baud)?  Is the recent posting of Qubie problems
>unusual?? How about the Prometheus Promodem??  The Hayes is just too
>expensive (at least for grad students).  Any help here would be
>appreciated.  Oh yes.  Soon, plez.
>					Frank Miles

I recently bought a PASSWORD modem from US ROBOTICS.  It is HAYES
compatible, works flawlessly at both 300 and 1200 bauds, and I got it
for $309 from a mail order company. The password is both auto dial and
auto answer, has an internal speaker, and is so small that you'll
almost be upset when you see it and realize that you paid $

Steve Grimaldi
grimaldi@umdb  (bitnet)
grim@umd2      (arpa)