[comp.sys.dec.micro] DECmate III

EVERHART@arisia.dnet.ge.com (08/29/90)

A DECmate III is a PDP8 (yes, 12 bit words and all).
You can use WPS on it, or by a bit of fiddling with os/278 (available
from the DECUS library cheap) turn it into a real PDP8 with Basic,
Pascal, assembler, and some other languages. I don't think anyone
has ever written an 8088 emulator for PDP8, though I seem to recall
'way back when that an 8080 emulator did exist. There may be 8088
boards for the DECmate that will let it run some msdos programs,
but the thing will be not much like an IBM PC at all. There is a lot
of interesting (if old) software for PDP8 out there however.

Robert_L_Armstrong@cup.portal.com (08/30/90)

  There was an 8088 add-on processor board for the DECmate-III available
from DEC which gave some degree of MSDOS compatibility.  You also need
the special software from DEC to make it work.  Any way you look at it,
trying to use the DECmate as a PC is a loss.  It's much more interesting
to get OS/278 and use it in its native mode.

Bob

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug28.170919.21475@athena.mit.edu>, infinity@athena.mit.edu (An-Jen Tai) writes:
> In particular, I am interested in
> communications software and whether DECMATE III is an IBM-clone and run
> MS-DOS stuff.

Wow! A DECmate III! I'm jealous; I've only got a II. Your box is much smaller
than mine.

The DECmate III is not PC compatible. It is the end of the PDP-8 line, a
venerable line of minis and micros stretching all the way back to 1965.
Although DEC made a DOS coprocessor for it, I do not believe it was ever
IBM compatible. I've never used the DOS coprocessor, but the CP/M
coprocessor is very nice.

If you're interested in using the PDP-8 side of the machine, you can get
OS/278 from DECUS. OS/278 is the version of OS/8 for the DECmates; that
what I'm using on my DECmate II even as I type. OS/8 eventually became
RT-11, which inspired CP/M that was eventually translated into DOS...

KERMIT is available for OS/278 (again, I'm running it even as I type), but
it's a bit difficult to get there in the first place; I was only able to
do it by converting it from CP/M to WPS and then from WPS to OS/278.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

bob@teda.UUCP (Bob Armstrong) (09/01/90)

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) writes:

>If you're interested in using the PDP-8 side of the machine, you can get
>OS/278 from DECUS. OS/278 is the version of OS/8 for the DECmates; that
>what I'm using on my DECmate II even as I type. OS/8 eventually became
>RT-11, which inspired CP/M that was eventually translated into DOS...

  OS/278 is certainly a great thing to have for your DECmate (it's at least
as useful as CP/M), but you should be aware that some of its functions
sort of depend on WPS.  You'll be able to run OS/278 from diskette without
anything else, but to use a hard disk will require the Master Menu (MM)
software that comes with WPS.  OS/278 contains a hard disk driver, but no
utilities to format or parition the disk (if someone knows how to do this
w/o MM, I'd like to hear!).

>KERMIT is available for OS/278 (again, I'm running it even as I type), but
>it's a bit difficult to get there in the first place; I was only able to
>do it by converting it from CP/M to WPS and then from WPS to OS/278.

  The SLU (serial line unit) driver that comes with OS/278 supports XON/XOFF
handshaking, so I just copied the source for KERMIT (K278.PA) over the
COM port from another computer using PIP.  Of course you have to fix any
transmission errors by hand, but it beats typing it all in.

  The KERMIT I have for my DECmate is about 3 years old.  Does anybody know
if there is a new, improved version ?

Bob Armstrong
{sun,decwrl,pyramid}!teda!bob

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (09/06/90)

In article <13409@teda.UUCP>, bob@teda.UUCP (Bob Armstrong) writes:
>   The KERMIT I have for my DECmate is about 3 years old.  Does anybody know
> if there is a new, improved version ?

The version I'm using is dated 6 sep 89. Sounds like a big Yes to me.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633