[net.micro] Kermit as a server

Gregg Wonderly <gregg%okstate.csnet@CSNET-RELAY> (01/22/85)

> From:  "J.M Hague" <ukc!jmh%mcvax.uucp@SEISMO>
>
> 	The June/July 84 Byte articles on Kermit include a suggestion that
> Kermit could be extended to provide a remote file server capability. Anybody
> out there know of any work done in this direction ?

     Most implementations of KERMIT for mainframe as well as other
publicly available systems, have server capabilities.  The MS-KERMIT
(MS-DOS version) also includes these capabilities.  They are quite
trivial to add if you have a grasp of the KERMIT protocol in general.
We receive the mailing list, INFO-KERMIT, which is moderated by Frank
De Cruize (sp?) from Columbia University.  The address is
INFO-KERMIT@COLUMBIA-20.  All of the major and some minor improvements
to various implementations are discussed here.  Frank also tries to
answer various questions from the public about KERMIT.

Gregg Wonderly
Department of Computing and Information Sciences
Oklahoma State University

                                        ...!cbosgd!\
          1                 ...!ihnp4!umn-cs!isucs1!\
         /|\         UUCP:                           > okstate!gregg
         | |                ...!convex!ctvax!uokvax!/
   _____//|\\_____            ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!ea!/
  |_|_|_||_||_|_|_|
  |_|_|_|||||_|_|_|  ARPA:  gregg%okstate.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

Dave Tweten <tweten@AMES-NAS> (01/22/85)

In a recent communication:

>     From: Gregg Wonderly <gregg%okstate.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
>
>     We receive the mailing list, INFO-KERMIT, which is moderated
>     by Frank De Cruize (sp?) from Columbia University.  The
>     address is INFO-KERMIT@COLUMBIA-20.

I believe there was a mistake made.  To my knowlege, the address to use
for requests to be included on the Kermit mailing list is:

     Info-Kermit-Request@CU20B

The address for messages to the Digest is:

     Info-Kermit@CU20B

They moved from Columbia-20 last fall.

hummel@csd2.UUCP (Robert Hummel) (01/22/85)

>        Most implementations of KERMIT for mainframe as well as other
>   publicly available systems, have server capabilities.

We have a semantic problem here. The "server" mode of Kermit is not
the same as a FILE server; a file server should look like an attached
mass storage device to the local system. The Kermit "server" is a
communications server, a different kind of thing altogether.

		Tony Movshon (using a friend's account)

		uucp: {seismo|ihnp4|allegra}!cmcl2!hipl!tony
		arpa: hipl!tony@nyu-cmcl2