[comp.sys.dec.micro] LA 50's showing age

imp@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) (09/26/90)

I'm having a problem with my LA50.  No matter what I do I can't get it
to work with my rainbow.  It doesn't do flow control.  From a breakout
box I don't see any characters coming back from the printer.  Anybody
know how to fix the output drivers?

Warner
--
Warner Losh		imp@Solbourne.COM
How does someone declare moral bankruptcy?

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (09/27/90)

In an article imp@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) wrote:

>I'm having a problem with my LA50.  No matter what I do I can't get it
>to work with my rainbow.  It doesn't do flow control.  From a breakout
>box I don't see any characters coming back from the printer.  Anybody
>know how to fix the output drivers?

I had this problem, and traced it down to the DC-DC converter module
which is supposed to convert +5 to +/- 12 for the RS232 driver chip.
I scavenged another converter, but that only lasted a few months.
Finally I built a DC-DC converter from an experimenter's kit sale from
Jameco Electronics (the kit is discontinued now), and it has been
working for years.

--
John Dudeck                                  "Nothing is foolproof, because
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                        fools are so ingenious."