[comp.sys.dec.micro] Hard Drive on a Rainbow

rsutto@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Roy A. Suttom) (10/15/90)

I have a DEC Rainbow PC100 and would like to connect a st506 hard drive
to it.  What do I need to get to do so (I aready have the drive).

Thanks

Roy Sutton

GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (George A. Theall) (10/16/90)

>I have a DEC Rainbow PC100 and would like to connect a st506 hard drive
>to it.  What do I need to get to do so (I aready have the drive).

   You need a controller card plus assorted cables, and these days
the only source of these is likely to be the used Rainbow market.
BTW: The controller card must be one designed for the Rainbow -
stuff from places like HDI will not work.

   Maybe someone here will know of one for sale.

Geo

---
BITNET: GTHEALL@PennDRLS               Dept. of Economics
Internet: GTHEALL@PennDRLS.UPenn.Edu   University of Pennsylvania
AT+TNet: +1 215 898 3419               Philadelphia, PA   19104-3987

rsutto@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Roy A. Suttom) (10/16/90)

In article <9010151809.AA05503@remote.dccs.upenn.edu> GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (George A. Theall) writes:
>>I have a DEC Rainbow PC100 and would like to connect a st506 hard drive
>>to it.  What do I need to get to do so (I aready have the drive).
>
>   You need a controller card plus assorted cables, and these days
>the only source of these is likely to be the used Rainbow market.
>BTW: The controller card must be one designed for the Rainbow -
>stuff from places like HDI will not work.
>
>   Maybe someone here will know of one for sale.

Hmmm, Where does this card plug?  I did not notice any slots or free
connectors (other that a second BOX Dual In Line Connector similar
to the one the first Disk Drive is connected to).

Does anyone have such a controller that would like to sell?

Roy Sutton

ccjason@aggie.ucdavis.edu (Jason Gabler) (10/16/90)

In article <5719@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> rsutto@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Roy A. Suttom) writes:

>Does anyone have such a controller that would like to sell?
>
>Roy Sutton

	On the ST506 (5Meg) and the ST412, isnt the actual controller card
on the (under the) case of the HD?

	If I am wrong then the controller card show be situated like this
on top of the motherboard.  (Please excuse the design and possible
misnaming of boards not in question ).

				vid   prn   comm (ports)
		------------------------------------
		|Power Supply		|	   |
		|			|Various   |
		-------------------------Connectors|
		|Video?			|	   |
		|			|----------|
		|			|	   |
		|------------------------	   |
		|Memory			|Disk	   |
		|			|Controler |
		|			|	   |
		|------------------------	   |
		|?			|	   |
		|			|	   |
		|			|	   |
		------------------------------------
		 pow			drives a&b

			front of unit

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (10/20/90)

In article <5719@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> rsutto@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Roy A. Suttom) writes:
>In article <9010151809.AA05503@remote.dccs.upenn.edu> GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (George A. Theall) writes:
>>>I have a DEC Rainbow PC100 and would like to connect a st506 hard drive
>>>to it.  What do I need to get to do so (I aready have the drive).
>>
>>   You need a controller card plus assorted cables, and these days
>>the only source of these is likely to be the used Rainbow market.
>>BTW: The controller card must be one designed for the Rainbow -
>>stuff from places like HDI will not work.
>>
>>   Maybe someone here will know of one for sale.
>>

>Hmmm, Where does this card plug?  I did not notice any slots or free
>connectors (other that a second BOX Dual In Line Connector similar
>to the one the first Disk Drive is connected to).
>
>Does anyone have such a controller that would like to sell?

  After you remove the top part of the case, look for four thumbscrews
on the back of the machine.  unscrew them, then remove the power jumper and
the floppy drive cable, and the motherboard slides out

  There are four "slots" on the motherboard.  These are for the floppy
controller, memory board, hard disk controller, and graphics board.
They are not like anything you'd find in an ibm clone.

  The hard disk controller plugs into the slot next to the floppy controller,
turned 90 degrees to the right.  The memory board and graphics board plugs
into the slots next to the hard disk, towards the front of the machine.

  You pretty much need a memory board if you plan to use msdos.  You
almost certainly need it if you want to use a hard disk.

  Also, check which model of pc100 you have.  there are two models, A and
B.  The B model is more desirable.

  I had to search long and hard for a controller for my machine.  Supply
is limited and they cost more than a similar controller for an ibm.

  If you have the A motherboard and want a B motherboard, I have one for
sale (with a memory board) for $175.  (comes with 256k ram)

  Other stuff i have...

       RX50 Drive
       Power supply
       Keyboard
--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - but don't quote me on that....

American Oil Company motto - Bend over, We'll pump!!!