[comp.sys.dec.micro] comp.sys.dec

rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) (11/13/90)

 Ok, I've got another RAINBOW 100 question.  I'm in a situation
 where I REALLY need to be able to use two comm ports.  I have
 the "regular" comm port functioning ok (although that was
 a feat in itself), but need a second.  Does anyone know if you
 can READ the PRINTER port?  What documentation I have indicates
 it is output only, but has anyone tried using it for input?

 Secondly, I know there are some CPM files on Compuserve.  Does
 anyone know if there are any sites accessible thru internet
 (other than perhaps SIMTEL20) that has additional files?

 Thirdly, is anyone familiar enough with the memory cards in
 the RAINBOW to know - were all the memory cards basically the
 same, just with different chips, or were they fundamentally
 different?  What I have in mind is that since we have 16 of
 the things, maybe I could pull a card out of one machine an
 put it in another to increase the memory size.  Or alternately,
 maybe I could replace the chips on the board with larger
 capacity memory chips?

 Thanks for any advice.  I've ALMOST got the system working
 (will post my experiences when finished....).

 --bw

 - Bob Wier

 -------------- insert favorite standard disclaimers here ----------
                      College of Engineering
         Northern Arizona University / Flagstaff, Arizona
  Internet: rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu | BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX | WB5KXH
           or   uucp:  ...arizona!naucse!rrw

theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu (11/13/90)

In article <2893@naucse.cse.nau.edu>
 rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) writes:

> Secondly, I know there are some CPM files on Compuserve.  Does
> anyone know if there are any sites accessible thru internet
> (other than perhaps SIMTEL20) that has additional files?

   There's a smallish collection of Rainbow files maintained on
DRYCAS.CLUB.CC.CMU.EDU. It's accessible via anonymous FTP and email. If
you try the former, switch over to INFO-DEC-MICRO once you connect and
grab the files AAAFILES.TXT and AAREADME.1ST. Note, however, that
there's nothing for CP/M there.

   It may also be possible to find someone willing to email you a
program or two from Fidonet. I've been manually gatewaying this
newsgroup for over a year so they'll see anything you post to
comp.sys.dec.micro (or INFO-DEC-MICRO for that matter). So ask away -
folks are pretty generous around here.

> were all the memory cards basically the
> same, just with different chips, or were they fundamentally
> different?

   I'm not much of a hardware person, but I believe there were two
types of memory cards manufactured by DEC - one for Rainbow 100As, the
other for 100Bs. Other than that, the only difference in cards would be
in the capacity of the memory chips used (64 or 256K).

George
---
theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu			Dept. of Economics
theall@ssctemp.sas.upenn.edu			Univ. of Pennsylvania
gtheall@penndrls.upenn.edu			Philadelphia, PA 19104

imp@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) (11/14/90)

In article <32744@netnews.upenn.edu> theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu writes:
>   I'm not much of a hardware person, but I believe there were two
>types of memory cards manufactured by DEC - one for Rainbow 100As, the
>other for 100Bs. Other than that, the only difference in cards would be
>in the capacity of the memory chips used (64 or 256K).

The cards for the 100B can be populated with either 64K or 256K chips.
Once you make the change, all you need to do is set the dip switches
on the card correctly to use the extra memory.  Memory cards for the
100A didn't have this feature.  I do seem to recall an adapter card
that would allow the 100B memory cards to be used in a 100A, but since
I don't have a 100A, I didn't remember it very well....

Warner
--
Warner Losh		imp@Solbourne.COM
How does someone declare moral bankruptcy?