[comp.sys.dec.micro] Assorted rainbow questions

tom@astro.as.arizona.edu (Thomas J. Trebisky) (12/11/90)

These may well be FAQ, but here goes - your help and patience is appreciated.

I am running DOS 2.11 on my rainbows, but I hear DOS 3.1 (at least) is available
What advantages are to be gained by an upgrade, and where would one go to get
a copy (are there actually vendors still in business supplying rainbow stuff?).

What are some other sources of stuff via anonymous FTP - drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu
is so far the only source I have found (Thank You!), but surely there are others
Is there rainbow stuff on SIMTEL20?  If so, where?
A particular interest is the sources to WUTIL32 - the document mentions that
WUTIL32S.ARC is available and has the source code, but where can I get it?

And what is this code-blue (some kind of IBM screen compatibility package?)
Where does one get this, and is it worth the trouble?

I know this sounds like a lot of gimmee, gimmee - but I cannot help but think
there must be other rainbow neophytes out there that would be helped by answers
to questions like these.   Thanks in advance for the help!!

Tom		(Internet: ttrebisky@as.arizona.edu)

imp@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) (12/18/90)

In article <685@organpipe.UUCP> tom@astro.as.arizona.edu (Thomas J. Trebisky) writes:
>These may well be FAQ, but here goes - your help and patience is
>appreciated.

No FAQ.

>I am running DOS 2.11 on my rainbows, but I hear DOS 3.1 (at least) is available
>What advantages are to be gained by an upgrade, and where would one go to get
>a copy (are there actually vendors still in business supplying
>rainbow stuff?).

I think that the only source of 3.10b is from other people that have
it.  Suitable Solutions no longer deals with Rainbow stuff.  I'm sure
others on the net can point you at a copy.

>What are some other sources of stuff via anonymous FTP - drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu
>is so far the only source I have found (Thank You!), but surely there are others

Not to my knowledge, but I may be setting something up here.  Just
depends on how much RB software I can get.

>Is there rainbow stuff on SIMTEL20?  If so, where?

Yes and no.  There are lots of programs on Simtel20, but only a few of
them run on the Rainbow.  This is due to an alarming trend among s/w
writers to ALWAYS use the fast video routines, even when it doesn't
makes sense to do so (like for a directory list program....).  Your
best bet is to download what you think you'd like, and then see if it
runs with Codeblue.

>A particular interest is the sources to WUTIL32 - the document mentions that
>WUTIL32S.ARC is available and has the source code, but where can I
>get it?

It is on several BBS's.  I don't know where I got my copy, but I seem
to recall that it was the Hitch Hiker's Guide BBS.  The number is

260  223  Hitch Hikers Guide315-589-7361+!  Williamson____NY Fritz Howard [*]

>And what is this code-blue (some kind of IBM screen compatibility package?)
>Where does one get this, and is it worth the trouble?

You get it also from people on the net.  It is a commercial product
that you have to part with money to get, but it is WELL worth the
trouble if you need to run something that works only on the PC.  There
are many programs at SIMTEL20 that will work on the Rainbow only with
Codeblue.  There is a less featured program called Fossil that you can
get from Simtel20 that will do some screen control and communications
stuff as well.  I haven't used the VFOSSIL stuff enough to know how
good it is, since I have code blue.

I hope that this helps.

Warner Losh		imp@Solbourne.COM
--
Warner Losh		imp@Solbourne.COM
We sing about Beauty and we sing about Truth at $10,000 a show.