[comp.sys.dec.micro] Rainbow monitor

EVERHART%ARISIA.decnet@CRDGW1.GE.COM (08/08/89)

Awhile back, I purchased a surplus VR241 for my Amiga (which works very
nicely!). Since that's working on an interface taking basically CGA
type resolution (15.75KC/S) I would think that anybody's 15.75kc monitor
would work provided it'll take analogue inputs. This lets out most CGA
monitors (they're digital RGB, not analogue) but not all of them. If you can
find a commodore 1080 for example it ought to work. Monochrome monitors of
that scan rate are maybe $75 new also. I can't help with keyboard though.
Glenn Everhart

link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (10/16/90)

The monitor (amber mono) on my Rainbow went dead.
At first, it started acting up (vertical hold), which a technician
here was able to temporarily fix by turning a pot (second from front)
on the inside of the monitor. Eventually, it died completely on a
later power-up.

Does anyone have any idea how easy this is to fix, and approximately
the cost?

Does anyone know where I can get another monitor, and for how much?

Thanx in advance,
Rick

LZM@UVMVM.BITNET (Lynne Meeks) (10/17/90)

Re: Getting a new monitor
Yes! I (we) have two complete Rainbow systems and assorted software.
One Rainbow has a 5Mb hard disk. Both systems work with the exception of
one keyboard which we are fairly sure  is dead.
These systems are free to whoever wants them. I'd rather give them as
complete units but I'll consider piecemeal if those are all the requests
I get.
Please contact me electronically: LZM@UVMVM
                  by mail       : Lynne Meeks
                                  238 Waterman Building
                                  University of Vermont, 05405

                  by phone       :(802) 656-1255

Lynne Meeks   (LZM@UVMVM)
238 Waterman Building
University Computing Services
University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct15.184627.5163@agate.berkeley.edu>, link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:
> The monitor (amber mono) on my Rainbow went dead.
> At first, it started acting up (vertical hold), which a technician
> here was able to temporarily fix by turning a pot (second from front)
> on the inside of the monitor. Eventually, it died completely on a
> later power-up.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how easy this is to fix, and approximately
> the cost?
>
> Does anyone know where I can get another monitor, and for how much?

Such a thing is probably available - probably used - from various third
party computer mail order dealers (Newman, Midwest, Brookvale, Digital
Basics, and others specialize in both new and used DEC hardware). The
used equipment vendors probably don't deal much with Rainbow hardware
any more, so you may have to call around:

	Newman		1-313-426-3200
	Midwest		1-800-328-7000
	Brookvale	1-516-273-7777
	Digital Basics	1-800-522-1742

Expect to pay up to around $160 for a new monitor or up to around $80
for a used one (expensive for a monochrome monitor but then it's a
specialty item).  As you might expect, most of the new equipment they
sell is VAXes and workstations, and most of their Rainbow hardware is
used.  Every once in a while though they have a few pieces of new
Rainbow equipment that has been sitting in a warehouse somewhere at
some company that never quite got around to using or selling it.

Every once in a while DEC will sell off a bunch of used and new (but
obsolete) equipment, often at pretty good prices, but if you're not
on their mailing list you won't hear about it.  I haven't noticed any
Rainbow equipment on it for a while (for some years it was a standard
item on such lists) but then I haven't been looking.

You can also take the monitor to DEC for repair or replacement.  If
you take your old monitor in as a trade-in, it would probably cost
around $100 to replace it with a "new" one;  this price is sort of
expensive for what it is, but it's not totally outrageous (unlike
DEC's price for disk drives, which is another story...).  You would
also wind up with a monitor that might have been worked over a bit
better than a used one you might get from a used equipment vendor.

Good luck.

						Bruce C. Wright

link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (01/23/91)

Any idea where I can get a Rainbow monochrome monitor, preferably amber?

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dr. Richard Link
Computational Physics, Inc.