[comp.sys.dec.micro] MultiPlan 86

imp@Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) (02/12/91)

In article <2535@moscom.UUCP> mcc@moscom.UUCP (Mike Corbett) writes:
>I'm not really sure if this belongs in this newsgroup but...

close.  You may want to try comp.sys.dec.micro

>A firend of mine recently bought an old DEC Rainbow 100 along with the basic
>tutorial software that (I guess) originally came with it.  The tutorial
>mentions MiltiPlan 86, and he now has decided that it would help him utilize
>his "new" computer.
>My question is whether anyone out there has any knowledge of this product, and
>where he may be able to pick up a copy of it.

I have used a copy of MultiPlan on my rainbow that was originally
indended for an IBM PC that was installed on the 'Bow.  I found that
it was good for a check book program.  There were some non-obvious
things that I had to do to get the running balance to work.  However,
I never did use it for anything more.

I don't know if you can still get this version or not.  I think that
you may be able to find the CP/M-86 version knocking around on some of
the old Rainbows out there.  There may even be someone who will sell
it to you.

If your friend isn't averse to running MS-DOS on the Rainbow, then he
should be able to use just about any of the present spread sheets
under code blue (which he'll have to get).  Since I don't use spread
sheets that often, I don't know which versions of what programs will
work and which ones fall down and go boom.

I have cross posted this article to comp.sys.dec.micro and directed
followups there.

Warner
--
Warner Losh		imp@Solbourne.COM
We sing about Beauty and we sing about Truth at $10,000 a show.

mcc@moscom.UUCP (Mike Corbett) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.220244.8900@Solbourne.COM> imp@Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) writes:
>In article <2535@moscom.UUCP> mcc@moscom.UUCP (I) write:
>
>>A friend of mine recently bought an old DEC Rainbow 100 along with the basic
>>tutorial software that (I guess) originally came with it.  The tutorial
>>mentions MiltiPlan 86, and he now has decided that it would help him utilize
>>his "new" computer.
>>My question is whether anyone out there has any knowledge of this product, and
>>where he may be able to pick up a copy of it.
>I have used a copy of MultiPlan on my rainbow that was originally
>indended for an IBM PC that was installed on the 'Bow.
>If your friend isn't averse to running MS-DOS on the Rainbow, then he
>should be able to use just about any of the present spread sheets
>under code blue (which he'll have to get).  Since I don't use spread

No, there is no emotional problem with running MS-DOS (it would actually make
things a bit easier).

OK, next question then.

How do I get a copy of code blue?  Also, are there any vendors out there that
still suppoort CP/M and dir Rainbow in particular?

Thanks!

Mike

--
      ///
     ///   "Only Amiga Makes It Possible!"        mcc@moscom

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb11.220244.8900@Solbourne.COM> imp@Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) writes:
>In article <2535@moscom.UUCP> mcc@moscom.UUCP (Mike Corbett) writes:
>
>I don't know if you can still get this version or not.  I think that
>you may be able to find the CP/M-86 version knocking around on some of
>the old Rainbows out there.  There may even be someone who will sell
>it to you.
>
>If your friend isn't averse to running MS-DOS on the Rainbow, then he
>should be able to use just about any of the present spread sheets
>under code blue (which he'll have to get).  Since I don't use spread
>sheets that often, I don't know which versions of what programs will
>work and which ones fall down and go boom.

   bear in mind, the rainbow will run cp/m multiplan just as well as
the msdos or cp/m86 versions.

   in fact, under cp/m86 on the rainbow, you can run virtually any 8bit
cp/m applications.

   you can do this because the good folks (???) at DEC included a z80
in the rainbow, and the stock cp/m will run both 8088 and z80
applications.   z80 apps have a *.com filename and the 8088 apps have
a *.cmd filename.

   hope that helps...

--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - but don't quote me on that....

American Oil Company motto - Bend over, We'll pump!!!