[comp.sys.dec.micro] Request of Floppy Info

peregrin@hulaw1.harvard.edu (04/05/91)

	What kind/brand/type of diskettes does one recommend for the DEC
rainbow?  I've casually tried a bunch of diskettes and have had no luck unless
they are original DEC diskettes made for the rainbow, or were already working
with the rainbow.
	Again, I haven't given this problem enough attention to warrant true
concern.  I just want to save a 1/2 hour shuffling different types of diskettes
until I get it right.
	I'd like to know about cheap ones because I often use my rainbow to do
dangerous system tinkering and I'd like to have lots of backup copies of the
hard drive.
	I know I've tried DS/HD and DD/DD.  Maybe the ones I tried were garbage
anyways :-)

James
+ James Peregrino                        |     JPEREGRINO@HBSSTG.HARVARD.EDU +
+ Programmer/Analyst                     |         PEREGRIN@STIG.HARVARD.EDU +
+ Science & Technology Interest Group    |    JPEREGRINO@HBS.HBS.HARVARD.EDU +
+ Harvard Business School                |       PEREGRIN@HULAW1.BITNET      +
+ Boston, MA 02163                       +-----------------------------------+
+ Voice: (617)495-6307                   | My opinions are only my own and   +
+ FAX:   (617)495-0351                   | never H.B.S's.                    +

PETERSEN@VUCTRVAX.BITNET (Ghost in the -Turing- Machine) (04/05/91)

    The Rainbow uses a DEC disk called an RX-50K, I think.  The RX-50K is
supplied with a strange, low-level format already applied to it.  You can
create this format on any HD and most DD disks if you have some of the
support programs for CCPM-86.  It has been a few years since I had a 'bow
of my own to work on, so I don't remember exactly how to do it.

-Chris Petersen
 Vanderbilt University Computer Center
 Petersen@vuctrvax.bitnet
 Petersen@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu

P.S.  I may have a Rainbow again soon!  Hurrah!

In article <037CC66500605EA8@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu>, PETERSEN@VUCTRVAX.BITNET (Ghost in the -Turing- Machine) writes:

>     The Rainbow uses a DEC disk called an RX-50K, I think.  The RX-50K is
> supplied with a strange, low-level format already applied to it.  You can
> create this format on any HD and most DD disks if you have some of the
> support programs for CCPM-86.

	CPM? Aaaaaghhhh!  That was before my time . . . What do us DOS users
do?

| Programmer/Analyst                     |       PEREGRIN@HULAW1.BITNET      |
| Science & Technology Interest Group    +-----------------------------------+
| Harvard Business School                | HBS neither expresses nor implies |
| Boston, MA 02163                       | any warranty in any of the        |
| Voice:(617)495-6307 FAX:(617)495-0351  | opinions or alleged facts herein. |

PETERSEN@VUCTRVAX.BITNET (Ghost in the -Turing- Machine) (04/06/91)

hulaw1.harvard.edu!peregrin@HUSC6.HARVARD.EDU quotes me as saying:
> petersen@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu:
> >

> >     The Rainbow uses a DEC disk called an RX-50K, I think.  The RX-50K is
> > supplied with a strange, low-level format already applied to it.  You can
> > create this format on any HD and most DD disks if you have some of the
> > support programs for CCPM-86.
>
>     CPM? Aaaaaghhhh!  That was before my time . . . What do us DOS users
> do?

    I dunno.  Punt?  From the drafty attick of my memory come no solutions to
the problem.  I can make any disk into an RX-50K on CCPM and any disk into an
RX-33 on VMS, but I have no idea how to do the low-level formatting necessary
from MS-DOS.  Sadly, I "lost" my technical documentation (on purpose) during
my next-to-last move.  It had a complete description of the RX-50 low-level
format...

-Chris

                             +------------------+
                              \ Chris Petersen /
       +-----------------------+--------------+----------------------+
      /  Vanderbilt University Computer Center - Systems Development  \
     / petersen@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.EDU  .AND.  petersen@VUctrvx1.Bitnet \
               { "You're quoting me?  I make it up as I go!" }

HAYES@URVAX.BITNET (04/06/91)

Apologies to all...  To (low)-level format a floppy with MS-DOS 2.11-1 (last
version provided by DEC, the syntax is format d:/i<ret>  (and not format d:/e).

Claude Bersano-Hayes     HAYES @ URVAX                 (Vanilla BITNET)
University of Richmond   hayes@urvax.urich.edu     (Bitnet or Internet)
Richmond, VA  23173      ...!psuvax1!urvax.bitnet!hayes          (UUCP)

jrkdmd@dmdscs.com (04/06/91)

> RX-33 on VMS, but I have no idea how to do the low-level formatting necessary
> from MS-DOS.  Sadly, I "lost" my technical documentation (on purpose) during
> my next-to-last move.  It had a complete description of the RX-50 low-level
> format...

Very Simple on a Rainbow using DOS

C:> FORMAT /I A:

the /i means initialize and will low level your RX50 diskette

-jrk