[comp.sys.dec.micro] Emacs for the 'Bow?

peregrin@hulaw1.harvard.edu (04/16/91)

       Can anyone recommend an emacs-like editor for the Rainbow?  I've been
using SEDT, which has plenty of features, but I want my keystrokes! (I've
edited the SEDT keymap, but that was no fun...).
	I guess I'm looking for a Freemacs or Microemacs version for the
rainbow.

james
| James Peregrino                        |     JPEREGRINO@HBSSTG.HARVARD.EDU |
| Programmer/Analyst                     |       PEREGRIN@HULAW1.BITNET      |
| Science & Technology Interest Group    +-----------------------------------+
| Harvard Business School                | HBS neither expresses nor implies |
| Boston, MA 02163                       | any warranty in any of the        |
| Voice:(617)495-6307 FAX:(617)495-0351  | opinions or alleged facts herein. |

ccjason@aggie.ucdavis.edu (Jason Gabler) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.175500.1@hulaw1.harvard.edu> peregrin@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:

>       Can anyone recommend an emacs-like editor for the Rainbow?  I've been
>using SEDT, which has plenty of features, but I want my keystrokes! (I've
>edited the SEDT keymap, but that was no fun...).
>	I guess I'm looking for a Freemacs or Microemacs version for the
>rainbow.
>
>james

ftp to drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu
cd into /info-dec-micro/msdos

I dont remember the name of the actual source.. but its there.

imp@Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.175500.1@hulaw1.harvard.edu> peregrin@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:
>       Can anyone recommend an emacs-like editor for the Rainbow?

Micro Emacs version 3.9e is available from drycas.  All that is there
is the executable and all the files you need to run it.  I did a 3.10
port about 6 months ago, but there were a couple of bugs that I
couldn't find/fix so I never did release it.  The big advantage of
3.10 is that file reads/writes seem much faster.  You can run
microemacs under code blue and use the IBM version.  I haven't done
this personally, but I understand that it works well.

There is no port of freemacs to the Rainbow that I'm aware of.  It
wouldn't be that hard, just no one that I'm aware of has sat down and
done it.

Warner

P.S.  Does anybody know what it means when you turn on your Rainbow
and NOTHING happens?  No screen, no fan, no disks spin up?  No, it
isn't upplugged... :-)
--
Warner Losh		imp@Solbourne.COM
We sing about Beauty and we sing about Truth at $10,000 a show.

ear@wpi.WPI.EDU (Eric A Rasmussen) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.162010.24517@Solbourne.COM> imp@Solbourne.COM (Warner
Losh) writes:

>P.S.  Does anybody know what it means when you turn on your Rainbow
>and NOTHING happens?  No screen, no fan, no disks spin up?  No, it
>isn't upplugged... :-)

Have you paid your electric bill? :)

Seriously, try checking the fuse.

+---------< Eric A. Rasmussen - Mr. Neat-O (tm) >---------+ +< Email Address >+
|   A real engineer never reads the instructions first.   | | ear@wpi.wpi.edu |
|   (They figure out how it works by playing with it.)    | | ear%wpi@wpi.edu |
+---------------------------------------------------------+ +-----------------+
                     ((( In Stereo Where Available )))

ben@vmsa.technion.ac.il (04/17/91)

writes:

>        Can anyone recommend an emacs-like editor for the Rainbow?  I've been
> using SEDT, which has plenty of features, but I want my keystrokes! (I've
> edited the SEDT keymap, but that was no fun...).
>       I guess I'm looking for a Freemacs or Microemacs version for the
> rainbow.
MicroEmacs is available for the BOW. If it is not on the archive at CMU, I can
post it.
|      Ben Pashkoff                 BEN@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL            |
|                                   BEN@TECHUNIX.BITNET                |
|      VAX/VMS Systems                                                 |
|      Computer Center              Phone:(972)-4-292177 office        |
|      Technion IIT                 FAX:  (972)-4-236212               |
|      Haifa, Israel 32000                                             |