[comp.sys.dec.micro] VaxStation/DecStation Laboratory Opinions

prender@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (05/31/91)

Hi.  Our research group needs to do real-time (or as close as possible) display
(grayscale-ish images) and 2D FFTs of 100+ x 100+ arrays of numbers, along with
standard 2- or 3D rotations of the generated images (basically all just very
fast (compared to DOS on 386s) numbercrunching and graphics), and I've drawn
the short straw on 'finding a suitable system' for the job.  So far, OS/2 2.0
(32 bit), SUN (and similar) workstations, and the NeXT Machine have all come
up for consideration.  I have myriad DOS (and related area) experience, but
nothing of consequence on the others, and so I'm looking for some practical
opinions of people actually USING VaxStations/DecStations (or actually, ANY
of the above systems) in a laboratory enviroment.

is VERY tempting to us, but I have NO experience AT ALL with even SEEING a
VS/DS run (I am a mainframe UnixBaby, though, and reasonably fluent in VaX
usage), and so hope to get some real nitty-gritty on the subject.  Anything
provided would be greatly appreciated. As usual, EMAIL is sure to be read but
postings to this group should be noticed as well :-) ...

Thanks.

S Prendergast
OSU Physics
prender@ohstpy.mps.ohio.state.edu                 prender@ohstpy.BITNET