[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Graphics software request

thuvan@CS.UCLA.EDU (10/26/87)

We are looking for any graphics/plotting software for IBM PC
compatible.  Our main purpose is to do data analysis for
chromatography, and to print on IBM proprinter, laserwriter, or
dot matrix printer.
			Thanks, beautiful Thuvan.

gdj5t@krebs.acc.virginia.edu (GD Jones) (10/29/87)

In article <8828@shemp.UCLA.EDU> thuvan@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:

>We are looking for any graphics/plotting software for IBM PC
>compatible.  Our main purpose is to do data analysis for
>chromatography, and to print on IBM proprinter, laserwriter, or
>dot matrix printer.
>			Thanks, beautiful Thuvan.

We have also been 'shopping' for a scientific graphic program,
and decided to get SIGMA-PLOT.
Although supposedly not as easy to learn as
GRAPH-PAD, SIGMA-PLOT is more powerful and flexible.  Also, SIGMA-
PLOT is not copy protected and a new enhanced version is released
about every 6 mos. (approx. $25 to update).  Toll-free technical
support is excellent, from what I've heard.  SIGMA-PLOT requires
 512K, CGA, EGA, or Hercules Monochrome Adaptor, and supports
a number of printers and plotters.  They plan to add a PostScript
driver for the Apple LaserWriter within a month.  The demonstration
I saw was very impressive!  SIGMA-PLOT is nearly WYSIWYG.  You can
have various types of multiple graphs and move these around the
screen (with labels, etc.) to position them.  I am less familiar
with the other programs listed below.

SigmaPlot (ver 3.1)		$395	(approx. $375 at Egghead Software)
Jandel Scientific
2656 Bridgeway
Sausalito, CA  94965
1-800-874-1888 (outside CA)
415-331-3022

GraphPad (ver 2)		$249	(40% educational discount)
ISI Software			(free demo disk avail.)
3501 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA  19104
(215) 386-0100 ext 1418
1-800-523-4092

TECH*GRAPH*PAD (ver 2.1)	$275	($10 demo avail.)
Binary Engineering		(Lotus 1-2-3 compatible)
100 Fifth Ave.
Waltha, MA  02154
(617) 890-1812

GOS (ver 2.0)			$245
On-Line Instrument Systems, Inc.
Route 2
Box 111
Jefferson, GA  30549
(404) 367-9191

Spidre				$195
PennWell Books
P.O. Box 1260
Tulsa, OK  74101
(918) 831-9421

Plotit				$500	($350 educational price)
Scientific Programming Enterprises
P.O. Box 669
Haslett, Michigan 48840
(517) 339-9859

I am in no way affiliated with any of these companies and some of
my information may of course be old or incorrect.  Please contact
each company for specific details, etc.  You may also want to read
some of the following review articles:

	Scientific Software Quarterly, (vol. not known; article sent
to me by ISI)
	Human Pathology, vol. 18, #1, Jan 1987
	J. Amer. Chem. Soc., vol 109, #13, June 24, 1987
	Intellegent Instruments & Computers, Aug. 1987, p 183.
	Heat Transfer Engineering, vol 8, #1

Glen Jones
U.Va. Biochem Dept., Box 440  >	UUCP: ...!uunet!virginia!gdj5t
Charlottesville, VA 22908     > BITNET: gdj5t@virginia.BITNET
(804) 924-2373		      >	CSNET: gdj5t@acc.virginia.edu

halp@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Bruce P. Halpern) (11/02/87)

I have an IBM Color Jetprinter (3852-c). I have not found any graphics
programs that support it. Even the software supplied by IBM, PRT3852C.COM,
produces screen dumps only in yellow, black, and white, even though the
printer can also do blue, green, and red.

Any guidance to suitable graphics programs or screen dump routines would
be appreciated.

--
  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |