[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] third party disk drives on the RT under 4.3

tamir@CS.UCLA.EDU (10/31/87)

Supposedly, it is now possible to purchase a SCSI "adapter"
from IBM and connect to it third party SCSI disk drives.
Is this the best way to connect third party disk drives ?
Has anybody done this already under 4.3 BSD on the RT ?

			   Yuval Tamir

Internet: tamir@cs.ucla.edu
    UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf,trwspp,randvax,ism780}!ucla-cs!tamir

kaplan@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Laurence S. Kaplan) (11/02/87)

In article <8936@shemp.UCLA.EDU> tamir@CS.UCLA.EDU (Yuval Tamir) writes:
>Supposedly, it is now possible to purchase a SCSI "adapter"
>from IBM and connect to it third party SCSI disk drives.
>Is this the best way to connect third party disk drives ?
>Has anybody done this already under 4.3 BSD on the RT ?
>			   Yuval Tamir
>Internet: tamir@cs.ucla.edu
>    UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf,trwspp,randvax,ism780}!ucla-cs!tamir

We here at the NYU Ultracomputer Research Project have attached Micropolis
ESDI model 1355 disk drives to the IBM ESDI disk controller with little
trouble.  Under 4.3 I believe that no software changes are needed and just
the proper configuration information must be known when you format the disk.
We have had no experience with IBM SCSI since we already had the ESDI
controller and didn't want to buy another.  By the way, with university
discounts the 1355 yielded us a price < $10/Megabyte.
Laurence S. Kaplan						     |
NYU Ultracomputer Research Project				    |||
715 Broadway  Rm. 1005						   |||||
New York, NY  10003						   |||||
arpa:	kaplan@cmcl2						----/ \----
uucp:	{ihnp4,seismo}!cmcl2!kaplan				----   ----