[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Follow-up to: Problems with Unify

crash@tsc3b21.UUCP (Frank "crash" Edwards) (02/24/88)

	This is Part II of the ongoing Saga of One Customer's results
in Asking Unify to Support Their * Product * (Unify 3.2).

	When we last left our hero, they were on the phone with "The
Company" trying to reach a solution to their problem of the distributed
software not supporting more than 127 record-types (which are referred
to as "tables" in Unify 4.0).  As evening falls, the phone is still in
use, but there is a light on the horizon:  Unify 4.0 will be shipped
to the customer (us) on the following day for only a small upgrade fee.
About 600 dollars small.

	So finally the package is delivered via Fed-Ex two days later.
(No doubt Unify actually sent it out over-night.)  Well, on Unify 4.0
the data dictionary is reconfigurable to support 'x' number of tables,
and 'x' number of fields.  So far we haven't had any problems.  And
since the $600 will be passed along to *our* customer ;-), we really
don't have a good reason to gripe anymore.  Of course, if I were a
man of principle and integrity, who knows...

	I suppose that our problem has been solved, but I'd like
to suggest a marketing strategy for Unify:  don't exagerate the
abilities of your product.  Of such makings are legal battles made.
And to the rest of the continent:  "You's pays your money, and you's
takes your chances."

"The previous message was brought to you by ...
Bang-Bang.  The sweetest little automatic in the world!"
-----
Frank (crash) Edwards		...!codas!usfvax2!{pdn,jc3b21}!tsc3b21!crash
TSC in Palm Harbor, FL		Phone:  (813) 785-0583  (voice)
The Sweat Shop
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|  These opinions are not those of my employer, his wife, either of their |
|  children, or their parakeet.  In fact, he probably doesn't even know   |
|  that I've said this!  And I prefer it that way!			  |
\-------------------------------------------------------------------------/

crash@tsc3b21.UUCP (Frank "crash" Edwards) (02/27/88)

In article <249@tsc3b21.UUCP>, crash@tsc3b21.UUCP (that's me!) writes:
> 	When we last left our hero, they were on the phone with "The
> Company" trying to reach a solution to their problem of the distributed
> software not supporting more than 127 record-types (which are referred
> to as "tables" in Unify 4.0).  As evening falls, the phone is still in
> use, but there is a light on the horizon:  Unify 4.0 will be shipped
> to the customer (us) on the following day for only a small upgrade fee.

Their solution has so far been working -- Unify 4.0 is faster in most
respects than 3.2 and does have more features.

> [ .... ]                                           Well, on Unify 4.0
> the data dictionary is reconfigurable to support 'x' number of tables,
> and 'x' number of fields.  So far we haven't had any problems.

In conclusion, suffice it say that they *do* have a fast and reliable
database manager.

"This message brought to you by ...
Bang-Bang!  The sweetest little automatic ever made."
	 ...  From Star Trek:  The Series, A Piece of the Action
-----