[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] File size limit under AIX 2.1 ?

paj@gatech.edu (P. Allen Jensen) (03/17/88)

Is there a limit on the size of a file on AIX 2.1 other than the
size of the partition in which the file is located ?  I have
plenty of disk space (150 MB on my 300 MB disk) but I cannot create
a file larger than about 4MB.  I start getting "write failed"
messages from "ld" and "output failed" from "cat".

P. Allen Jensen
--
P. Allen Jensen
GTICES Systems Laboratory, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

dpw@unisec.usi.com (Darryl P. Wagoner) (03/17/88)

In article <17015@gatech.edu> paj@gatech.edu (P. Allen Jensen) writes:

>Is there a limit on the size of a file on AIX 2.1 other than the
>size of the partition in which the file is located ?  I have
>plenty of disk space (150 MB on my 300 MB disk) but I cannot create
>a file larger than about 4MB.  I start getting "write failed"
>messages from "ld" and "output failed" from "cat".

Yes, it is set by ulimit shell builtin or the ulimit system call.
This is standard System V, but on most systems it is set very high.
You have to be super user to increase it, but anyone can decrease it.
IBM has also add other things you can set with ulimit.  I would guess
that this value is set in /etc/master which would mean that you
would have to relink the kernel to change it but it not that big of
deal to do.

--
Darryl Wagoner		dpw@unisec.usi.com
UniSecure Systems, Inc.; 			OS/2, Just say No!

windley@iris.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley) (03/17/88)

In article <17015@gatech.edu> paj@gatech.edu (P. Allen Jensen) writes:

>Is there a limit on the size of a file on AIX 2.1 other than the
>size of the partition in which the file is located ?  I have
>plenty of disk space (150 MB on my 300 MB disk) but I cannot create
>a file larger than about 4MB.  I start getting "write failed"
>messages from "ld" and "output failed" from "cat".

There is a parameter for each user that tells the maxiumu size file that
that user can create.  When a user is added, you can set this.  There is
also a way to change it (although I can't remember it right now and I'm at
home without my docs).  Its not difficult though; I ran into the same
problem when I started using AIX.

Phil Windley
Robotics Research Lab
University of California, Davis

karl@haddock.ISC.COM (Karl Heuer) (03/18/88)

In article <1087@unisec.usi.com> dpw@unisec.USI.COM (Darryl P. Wagoner) writes:
>In article <17015@gatech.edu> paj@gatech.edu (P. Allen Jensen) writes:
>>Is there a limit on the size of a file on AIX 2.1 ...
>
>Yes, it is set by ulimit shell builtin or the ulimit system call. ...  I
>would guess that this value is set in /etc/master which would mean that you
>would have to relink the kernel to change it ...

It's much easier than that.  Init reads the file /etc/environment primarily
for environment strings, but there's a special case for the names "umask" and
"filesize".  Just add a line like "filesize=10240" if you need large files.
(This is measured in units of 512-byte blocks.)