[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Dial in/out on one line?

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (03/20/88)

How can I configure a modem line for dial in and dial out on a single line?  I
have a MultiTech card in an RT running AIX 2.1.2.  The Communications Guide
describes in detail how to set up incoming only or outgoing only.  It makes a
few references to using one line for both directions, but it never gives any
details on how to do it.

I've tried to set it up myself, but every time init spawns a new getty for the
incoming side, it changes the owner of the serial line to root, and the mode
to 622.  The next time uucico tries to open the line for an outgoing call, it
fails (of course).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

jw    ...!mcvax!cernvax!pan!jw

luner@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David L. Luner) (03/21/88)

I believe that this is a "restriction." A port cannot be set up for both
dial-in and dial-out UUCP access. The way around this is to have a cron or
at job pdisable the port prior to when uucp is going to try to call out.
I hope to have a better solution in the future, but I wouldn't hold my
breath.

David Luner
Systems Engineer
IBM Madison, WI
608-273-5243

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (03/24/88)

In article <5424@spool.cs.wisc.edu> luner@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David L. Luner) writes:
>I believe that this is a "restriction." A port cannot be set up for both
>dial-in and dial-out UUCP access. The way around this is to have a cron or
>at job pdisable the port prior to when uucp is going to try to call out.
>I hope to have a better solution in the future, but I wouldn't hold my
>breath.

But you see, "pdisable/penable" is not the problem!  The uucico program does
that (at least, when run with -x9 it claims to do that), but then it can't
open the serial line, because the line is owned by root and mode 622.  I can
either the owner or mode by hand, and then everything works.  But the next
time a new getty is spawned, the owner and modes are changed back, and I'm
stuck again.

So far the best I can think of is to limit callout times, and have a cron
script which sets the owner and mode a the beginning of that time.  This is
not only ugly, though, it is prone to failure.

The fact that uucico diables and enables the port makes me believe that
someone intended for dialin/dialout on one line to work.  I'm hoping that
I just need to make some special kind of L-devices file entry, or something,
but perhaps they just never quite got it done right.

jw

crash@tsc3b21.UUCP (Frank "crash" Edwards) (03/29/88)

From article <385@pan.UUCP>, by jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson):
> In article <5424@spool.cs.wisc.edu> luner@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David L. Luner) writes:
>>I believe that this is a "restriction." A port cannot be set up for both
>>dial-in and dial-out UUCP access. The way around this is to have a cron or
>>at job pdisable the port prior to when uucp is going to try to call out.
>>I hope to have a better solution in the future, but I wouldn't hold my
>>breath.
>
> But you see, "pdisable/penable" is not the problem!  The uucico program does
> that (at least, when run with -x9 it claims to do that), but then it can't
> open the serial line, because the line is owned by root and mode 622.  I can
> either the owner or mode by hand, and then everything works.  But the next
> time a new getty is spawned, the owner and modes are changed back, and I'm
> stuck again.
>
> The fact that uucico diables and enables the port makes me believe that
> someone intended for dialin/dialout on one line to work.  I'm hoping that
> I just need to make some special kind of L-devices file entry, or something,
> but perhaps they just never quite got it done right.
>
> jw

This is just off the top of my head, but ... what about putting both fields
2 and 3 in the L-devices file.  The first is the "ACU" unit device, and the
second is the data line.  Perhaps if you set the ACU field (#2) to the port
device specified in the /etc/ports file, then uucico would disable that line
and use the other for communicating.  If so, then you could, as root, create
another device, say "/dev/modem", with the "mknod" command and give it the
same major/minor device numbers as the original.  And your L-devices line
might be:

<dev_id> /dev/tty6 /dev/modem 2400

where <dev_id> is your name for the entry.  Since the two devices refer to
the same port, but --ARE NOT-- linked together, you can have separate
permissions/owners on each.  And with both fields in the L-devices, uucico
will disable the port that has the getty running it...

Well, it's just a thought -- if it doesn't work, don't blame me!!!

----
Frank (crash) Edwards		...!codas!usfvax2!{pdn,jc3b21}!tsc3b21!crash
TSC in Palm Harbor, FL		Phone:  (813) 785-0583  (voice)
The Sweat Shop			These opinions belong to no one.

sauer@auschs.UUCP (Charlie Sauer) (03/30/88)

In article <381@pan.UUCP>, jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) writes:

> How can I configure a modem line for dial in and dial out on a single line?  I
> have a MultiTech card in an RT running AIX 2.1.2.  The Communications Guide
> describes in detail how to set up incoming only or outgoing only.  It makes a
> few references to using one line for both directions, but it never gives any
> details on how to do it.
>
> I've tried to set it up myself, but every time init spawns a new getty for the
> incoming side, it changes the owner of the serial line to root, and the mode
> to 622.  The next time uucico tries to open the line for an outgoing call, it
> fails (of course).

getty in AIX/RT 2.2 deals with this problem.  2.2 is scheduled to be
available in June.
--

Charlie Sauer   Dept D18, Bldg 802      aesnet: sauer@auschs
                IBM AES/ESD, Austin, TX   vnet: SAUER at AUSVM6