[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] socket library on top of TLI wanted

dannyb@kulcs.uucp (Danny Backx) (03/25/88)

A few months ago, there was a discussion in comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc about
TLI versus Berkeley sockets.

Somebody said that there is a library for offering a socket interface, provided
you have TLI.
We now have TLI as a part of AIX on IBM PC RT's, and we would like to keep
using sockets - as we do on all of the other systems (4.3 and SunOS 3.4).

Can anybody tell me where to get this library (or maybe mail it to me) ?

Thanks,
	Danny

 Danny Backx                            |  mail: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
 Tel: +32 16 200656 x 3058              |        Dept. Computer Science
 E-mail: dannyb@kulcs.UUCP              |        Celestijnenlaan 200 A
         ... mcvax!prlb2!kulcs!dannyb   |        B-3030 Leuven
         dannyb@blekul60.BITNET         |        Belgium

luner@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David L. Luner) (03/27/88)

>We now have TLI as a part of AIX on IBM PC RT's, and we would like to keep
>using sockets - as we do on all of the other systems (4.3 and SunOS 3.4).
>Can anybody tell me where to get this library (or maybe mail it to me) ?

From the announcement of AIX Version 2.2, dated 2-Feb-88:

	BSD Sockets interface has been added as well as enhancements to
	compatibility with BSD System Calls and BSD libraries.

	AIX/RT system call and library interfaces have been enhanced to
	be more compatible with the BSD system calls and BSD libraries.
	This includes the BSD system call parameters as well as interfaces
	not previously supported by AIX.

	Some of the specific enhancements include TCP/IP remote functions,
	MAIL, remote login, recursive copy, I/O device parameters, and
	open file parameters.

AIX/RT version 2.2 is available 24-Jun-88 (in the US, at least). I assume
that you're running AIX 2.1 currently. I don't recognize "TLI".

bc@halley.UUCP (Bill Crews) (03/28/88)

In article <1214@kulcs.kulcs.uucp> dannyb@kulcs.uucp (Danny Backx) writes:
>Somebody said that there is a library for offering a socket interface, provided
>you have TLI.

>Can anybody tell me where to get this library (or maybe mail it to me) ?

The one I am aware of was developed by Wollongong.  I don't know if they offer
this as a product.  As far as I know, they do not.  I don't know of any
freebies out there.  Anyone?

-bc
--
Bill Crews                                   Tandem Computers
bc@halley.UUCP                               Austin, Texas

sauer@auschs.UUCP (Charlie Sauer) (04/01/88)

In article <5463@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, luner@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David L. Luner) writes:
> From the announcement of AIX Version 2.2, dated 2-Feb-88:
>
> 	BSD Sockets interface has been added as well as enhancements to
> 	compatibility with BSD System Calls and BSD libraries.

4.3 sockets were added in AIX 2.1.2, the currently available level of AIX/RT,
but this was not pointed out in the 2.1.2 announcement material.  These are
based on a port of the BSD code, in both AIX 2.1.2 and AIX 2.2.

> 	Some of the specific enhancements include TCP/IP remote functions,
> 	MAIL, remote login, recursive copy, I/O device parameters, and
> 	open file parameters.

Also included in AIX/RT 2.2 are things like rwho, ruptime, sendmail, mh, and
inetd, which were not previously part of AIX.

> AIX/RT version 2.2 is available 24-Jun-88 (in the US, at least). I assume
> that you're running AIX 2.1 currently. I don't recognize "TLI".

TLI (Transport Level Interface) is not part of AIX/RT available from IBM -- AIX
sockets are not based on TLI.
--
Charlie Sauer   Dept D18, Bldg 802      aesnet: sauer@auschs
                IBM AES/ESD, Austin, TX   vnet: SAUER at AUSVM6