[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] News-reading under AIX

luner@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David L. Luner) (07/15/88)

I'm looking for code to run under AIX on an RT/PC to provide
news reception (and forwarding). More than likely, the feed will be
via UUCP, but network connections are also acceptable.

David

clarke@acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke) (07/15/88)

From article <5984@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, by luner@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David L. Luner):
> I'm looking for code to run under AIX on an RT/PC to provide
> news reception (and forwarding). More than likely, the feed will be
> via UUCP, but network connections are also acceptable.
>
> David

The standard 'B' news software works well under AIX.  I'm at patchlevel
14 and AIX version 2.2.  The new BNU uucp supports both TCP and serial
uucp connections.  My news feed is through one of the builtin ports
( the 4port async card works too ) at 19200 from a Telebit TB+ modem.
I forward netnews via the TB+ and also via an ethernet TCP connection
to some machines that run 4.3bsd. The tcp 'e' and 't' protocols are
supported as well as 'g'.

Note: BNU uucp is new with AIX 2.2.  Prior releases did not support tcp
based uucp connections.  I never tried a non-hayes modem with prior
releases either.

Ed Clarke
phri!acheron!clarke

sauer@auschs.UUCP (Charlie Sauer) (07/15/88)

In article <5984@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, luner@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David L. Luner) writes:
> I'm looking for code to run under AIX on an RT/PC to provide
> news reception (and forwarding). More than likely, the feed will be
> via UUCP, but network connections are also acceptable.

I've always run 2.10.3 level sources, being too lazy to upgrade to 2.11, but I
know of others running 2.11 on AIX, and I assume that 3.0 will work on AIX as
well.  I'm currently running AIX 2.2, but the binaries I'm using for news were
compiled on AIX 2.1.1.

The only difficulty I recall with getting news to run was with regard to
uname(), actually in the utsname structure definition.  In
/usr/include/sys/utsname.h, we have

#define  SYS_NMLN           32     /* Important: do not change this value ! */

struct utsname {
	char    sysname[SYS_NMLN];
	char    nodename[SYS_NMLN];
	char    release[SYS_NMLN];
	char    version[SYS_NMLN];
	char    machine[SYS_NMLN];
};

whereas the news sources assume that if you are using uname() then the sysname
field will be of length 9.  When we changed from 9 character to 32 character
nodenames we changed all of the fields to be of equal length, because that is
what the then current /usr/group standard (POSIX predecessor) required.
However, we retained an "ouname()" call which uses the traditional 9 character
fields.  So I changed the news sources to use ouname() instead of uname().

P.S.  /usr/include/sys/utsname.h also has the following:

#define  OLD_SYS_NMLN       9
struct outsname {
	char    sysname[OLD_SYS_NMLN];
	char    nodename[OLD_SYS_NMLN];
	char    release[OLD_SYS_NMLN];
	char    version[OLD_SYS_NMLN];
	char    machine[OLD_SYS_NMLN];
};
--
Charlie Sauer   IBM AES/ESD, D18/802     uucp: ut-sally!ut-emx!ibmaus!sauer
                11400 Burnet Road       csnet: ibmaus!sauer@EMX.UTEXAS.EDU