[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Mail on the RT

matt@cosmic (Matt Austern) (07/15/88)

AIX 2.1.2 has no sendmail command; instead, it has mail (which can be used
*only* to send a message to a user on the local machine), and netmail (which can
be used *only* to send a message to a user on a remote machine, and which
doesn't seem to be able to handle uucp paths.)  Needless to say, this situation
makes it very difficult to use any mail handling system that tries to call a
single mailer for either local or remote email.

Does anybody out there have a version of sendmail (or some reasonable facsimile
thereof) that would get around this problem?

Matthew Austern						matt@violet.berkeley.edu
			                matt@cosmic.berkeley.edu (128.32.178.41)

paul@sdgsunsdgsun.com (Paul Emerson) (07/15/88)

in article <12081@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, matt@cosmic (Matt Austern) says:

> AIX 2.1.2 has no sendmail command; instead, it has mail (which can be used
> *only* to send a message to a user on the local machine), and netmail (which can
> be used *only* to send a message to a user on a remote machine, and which

Wrong. I get mail from our RT all the time; no problem.  Sendmail is a BSD
thing, AIX is based on Sys V with BSD extensions.  Check your L.sys (is uucp
setup correctly?).  Of course AIX 2.1.2 will only allow a tty port to be either
a dialin or dialout, (later versions of AIX does allow bi-directional ports).

Paul Emerson
--
Paul J. Emerson                           Software Design Group, Inc.
Manager, Software Development             800 Trafalgar Ct. Suite 340

malik@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Sohail Malik) (07/15/88)

Are you sure you installed all the options from the operating systems,
extended services, and multiworkstation installation diskettes?  Sometimes
an option can be hard to figure out because it is grouped under another
more general name.

-Sohail

jjr@ut-emx.UUCP (Jeff Rodriguez) (07/16/88)

Matt Austern (matt@violet.berkeley.edu) writes:
>AIX 2.1.2 has no sendmail command; instead, it has mail (which can be used
>*only* to send a message to a user on the local machine), and netmail
>(which can be used *only* to send a message to a user on a remote machine

The netmail command can be used to send a message to the local machine
if the recipient's full address is given (i.e., "netmail joe@thisrt").

I agree that the mailing system in AIX is atrocious.
What bothers me quite a bit, in addition to the mail vs. netmail
problem, is the fact that there is no forwarding capability.
A ".forward" file is not recognized.  One can forward to another user
on the same local machine (by putting a forwarding address in the
/usr/mail/$LOGNAME file), but one cannot forward to another machine.

			Jeff Rodriguez
			jjr@emx.utexas.edu

tim@amdcad.AMD.COM (Tim Olson) (07/16/88)

In article <12081@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> matt@violet.berkeley.edu (Matt Austern) writes:

| AIX 2.1.2 has no sendmail command; instead, it has mail (which can be used
| *only* to send a message to a user on the local machine), and netmail (which can
| be used *only* to send a message to a user on a remote machine, and which
| doesn't seem to be able to handle uucp paths.)  Needless to say, this situation
| makes it very difficult to use any mail handling system that tries to call a
| single mailer for either local or remote email.
|
| Does anybody out there have a version of sendmail (or some reasonable facsimile
| thereof) that would get around this problem?

I haven't seen a version of sendmail that is easily ported to System-V.
What we did instead (delirun is an RT running AIX 2.1.1) is port smail
2.5 as our back-end mailer, and elm 1.5 as our user mail interface.
Both of these programs have been posted in the past to
comp.sources{.unix}.  This combination is *much* better than the
mail/netmail split.
--
	-- Tim Olson
	Advanced Micro Devices

sauer@auschs.UUCP (Charlie Sauer) (07/16/88)

In article <12081@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, matt@cosmic (Matt Austern) writes:

> AIX 2.1.2 has no sendmail command; instead, it has mail (which can be used
> *only* to send a message to a user on the local machine), and netmail (which can
> be used *only* to send a message to a user on a remote machine, and which
> doesn't seem to be able to handle uucp paths.)  ...
>
> Does anybody out there have a version of sendmail ...

sendmail, BSD mail command, and MH were all added to AIX 2.2.
--
Charlie Sauer   IBM AES/ESD, D18/802     uucp: ut-sally!ut-emx!ibmaus!sauer
                11400 Burnet Road       csnet: ibmaus!sauer@EMX.UTEXAS.EDU

In article <4232@ut-emx.UUCP> jjr@ut-emx.UUCP (Jeff Rodriguez) writes:
| I agree that the mailing system in AIX is atrocious.
| What bothers me quite a bit, in addition to the mail vs. netmail
| problem, is the fact that there is no forwarding capability.
| A ".forward" file is not recognized.  One can forward to another user
| on the same local machine (by putting a forwarding address in the
| /usr/mail/$LOGNAME file), but one cannot forward to another machine.

Smail 2.5 has this feature, along with system-aliases, rerouting, etc.
The only thing it doesn't have that I wish it had is forwarding to
programs, like sendmail can.
--
	-- Tim Olson
	Advanced Micro Devices

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (07/16/88)

In article <22376@amdcad.AMD.COM> tim@delirun.amd.com (Tim Olson) writes:
>I haven't seen a version of sendmail that is easily ported to System-V.

I'm running Sendmail 5.52 under XENIX System V 386 (sans sockets and SMTP)
without any problems whatsoever (I use it with MH 6.5).  I would imagine that
AIX, with or without sockets and a host TCP/IP, would support sendmail easily.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu