[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Hooking modems and ethernet boards for IBM/RT

ANKGC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Anil Khullar) (09/27/88)

I want to know how many modems can I hook safely on an RT and
and an ethernet board.....

-------

Anil Khullar                    BITNET:ank@cunyvms1  (prefered)
PhD. Program in Psychology      INTERNET:ankgc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
CUNY Graduate Center            ATTNET: (w) 212 642 2705
New York NY 10036                       (h) I (PAY) FOR-PRIV
{[RED SOX vs METS in 1988 .....BUT THIS TIME IT IS WAR..........]}

fink@mist.cs.orst.edu (Paul Fink) (09/27/88)

In article <1586ANKGC@CUNYVM> ANKGC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Anil Khullar) writes:
>I want to know how many modems can I hook safely on an RT and
>and an ethernet board.....

   You can put a modem on each serial port. The RT can have 2 serial port
   boards each with 4 ports that's 8 ports plus the 2 on the mother
   board. Also the RT may have 2 ethernet boards.

   A modem is just a different terminal to Unix. So you can "safely" run
   as many modems as terminals.

   Paul Fink

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (10/01/88)

In article <1586ANKGC@CUNYVM>, ANKGC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Anil Khullar) writes:
> I want to know how many modems can I hook safely on an RT and
> and an ethernet board.....

Asynchronous modems, such as your Hayes compatibles can be connected
to each RS-232 serial port available on your RT. If the ethernet
board requires a special ethernet modem, I believe only one is needed.