[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Microchannel 'RT' at CMU

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (11/23/88)

In article <1287@auschs.UUCP> sauer@auschs.UUCP (Charlie Sauer) writes:
[6, 10, and 12.5 Mhz]
>Those are the machines that we have shipped.  I think it is well known that
>we are working on follow on machines which support the Micro-Channel.
>Other than that, I don't think much is publicly known about those machines,
>so I won't say anything more about them now.
CMU has some microchannal PS/2's (model 60's, the 80286 variant) with an RT
coprocessor board installed in them.  They're installed in a public
Andrew cluster.

I don't know why they just didn't use the 80386 variant, since it might have
resulted in even better performance (Andrew/Mach could use the '386 for disk
and graphics, and crunch on the RT thing.)
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (11/24/88)

In article <3671@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>I don't know why they just didn't use the 80386 variant, since it might have
>resulted in even better performance (Andrew/Mach could use the '386 for disk
>and graphics, and crunch on the RT thing.)

I can guess why they didn't use the 80386 models.  Aside from the fact
that the models 70 weren't released yet when the Outrigger microchannel
card was introduced, the simple fact is that the 386 beats the pants
off the Outrigger right now; this particular microchannel RT's
performance is roughly 1/2 way between the original RT and the 2nd
generation APC RT.  Of course, that's not going to remain the status
quo, but it is the situation with the Model 60/Outrigger combination
right now.  (I wish I could remember its official IBM model number.)
It's still a nice machine, but I'd prefer something equal or faster
than the APC RT.

Another question.  Why are the latest 12.5mhz RT machines so expensive
compared to the 10mhz APC machines?  I'd hope you're getting more than
a 25% speedup for the 100% increase in price.  Charlie?

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

sauer@auschs.UUCP (Charlie Sauer) (11/30/88)

In article <3671@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
> >Those are the machines that we have shipped.  I think it is well known that
> >we are working on follow on machines which support the Micro-Channel.
> >Other than that, I don't think much is publicly known about those machines,
> >so I won't say anything more about them now.
> CMU has some microchannal PS/2's (model 60's, the 80286 variant) with an RT
> coprocessor board installed in them.  They're installed in a public
> Andrew cluster.

That machine is a 6152 (the standard RT models are 6150 for the floor standing
version and 6151 for the desktop).  I should have mentioned it in my original
posting.  It uses a reworked version of the APC (Advanced Processor Card) that
is used in the RT models 115 and 125.  It is somewhat slower than those models,
but I can't find the clock rate in the literature on the 6152.

Anyway, that is not the RT follow on machine currently being developed here.
--
Charlie Sauer   IBM AES/ESD, D75/802     uucp: cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!sauer
                11400 Burnet Road         822: @CS.UTEXAS.EDU:sauer@ibmaus.uucp

In article <2176@spdcc.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> Another question.  Why are the latest 12.5mhz RT machines so expensive
> compared to the 10mhz APC machines?  I'd hope you're getting more than
> a 25% speedup for the 100% increase in price.  Charlie?

I don't keep track of prices for the various configurations.  However, the
12.5MHz models come with several things standard that are optional in the 10MHz
models, e.g., 16MB memory standard vs. 4MB and an FPA card using the ADSP
3210/3221 instead of the 68881.  I think the default disk may be larger, also.