[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] more with pty's and ip software

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (12/01/88)

It seems that you have to reboot after using that lovely "devices"
command in AIX 2.2.  Now all I have to do is persuade telnet that
no, it doesn't want to use ^T as the escape character.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)

njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) (12/05/88)

In article <2383@stpstn.UUCP> aad@stepstone.com.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

>It seems that you have to reboot after using that lovely "devices"
>command in AIX 2.2.  Now all I have to do is persuade telnet that
>no, it doesn't want to use ^T as the escape character.

Not at all.  It is likely that what you did was to change the "ae"
status to "true" and "logger" to "true", thus causing AIX to start a
getty on the selected pty _during boot_.  Basically, this just
modified /etc/ports, unless you were also creating the pty, in which
case the /dev entries were created at the same time.  You didn't need
to reboot after doing that.  You could have just used the penable
command to start the getty.  then again, rebooting was probably a lot
faster than waiting for this answer :-).

To reset your telnet escape character, change the variable TNESC to
the three digit octal value of the escape character that you want.

as in:

$ TNESC=001
$ export TNESC

I've found that setting it to something totally invalid, like the
string -1, seems to turn it off, but I couldn't guarantee that
behavior, and I haven't tested it thoroughly.  I think that this is
documented in the TCP/IP Interface Program Manual, but I can't find
mine right now, since I'm at home.  (I had to edit the module to find
the string for the name of the environment variable.)
--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)

sauer@auschs.UUCP (Charlie Sauer) (12/07/88)

In article <2383@stpstn.UUCP>, aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
> It seems that you have to reboot after using that lovely "devices"
> command in AIX 2.2.  Now all I have to do is persuade telnet that
> no, it doesn't want to use ^T as the escape character.

devices will create the pty.  After that, penable pts? (where ? is the
appropriate number) should enable it for login.  No reboot should be needed.

tn (telnet) respects an environment variable TNESC, which is the octal value
of the escape character, e.g., I use TNESC=31 for ^Y.
--
C.H. Sauer IBM Advanced Workstations Div. uucp: cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!sauer
           11400 Burnet Road, D75/802      822: @CS.UTEXAS.EDU:sauer@ibmaus.uucp