[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Friend needs help with old R40 disk

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (12/16/88)

(I'm posting this for a friend.  If you reply by mail, please
send replies to jason@rt1.UUCP, not to me.)

 Does anyone know if it's possible to use an old R40 hard drive in
a 6150 with the new APC, one E70 drive, and the Extended ESDI controller
card? Do you put the old AT fixed disk adapter card in slot 2, attach
the old "E" cable bundle, and put the R40 in slot E ? If this *is* the
way you do it, is there a DMA channel or interrupt level conflict with
the EESDI adapter in slot 1? Are there special jumper settings for the
adapter card and hard drive [other than the "slot 2" jumpers on the
adapter card] ? I realize the R40 will be slow, but I could use the extra
storage.

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	{ames!hc!rt1,decuac!netsys}!ditka!kls
1-505/667-7777 (work)	|ARPA	rt1!ditka!kls@hc.dspo.gov

scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (12/17/88)

In article <531@ditka.UUCP> jason@rt1.UUCP (Jason Levitt) writes:
>(I'm posting this for a friend.  If you reply by mail, please
>send replies to jason@rt1.UUCP, not to me.)
>

> Does anyone know if it's possible to use an old R40 hard drive in
>a 6150 with the new APC, one E70 drive, and the Extended ESDI controller
>card? Do you put the old AT fixed disk adapter card in slot 2, attach
>the old "E" cable bundle, and put the R40 in slot E ? If this *is* the
>way you do it, is there a DMA channel or interrupt level conflict with
>the EESDI adapter in slot 1? Are there special jumper settings for the
>adapter card and hard drive [other than the "slot 2" jumpers on the
>adapter card] ? I realize the R40 will be slow, but I could use the extra
>storage.

Actually it doesn't matter which slot you put the drive into, the trick is to
put the AT controller as controller 2 then (this is the tricky part) if
you are running AOS 4.3 rel 1 (Feb 88) or AIS 4.3 (Dec 87)  put the drive
as drive 1 not drive 0. There is a bug in the autoconfig code such that
if you specify drive ? on controller ? you get drive 1 ONLY.
AOS 4.3 Rel 2 (Sep 88) and Rel 2.1 (Nov 88) have this bug fixed (at least
examination of the code indicates that it's fixed).

We have several machines running with 1 HD70e and 1 HD40r, a not unreasonable
config (this under AIS 4.3).  To save on space we provide some RVD service
(man pages, doc and printer font files).

NB if you are going to run AOS 4.3 Rel 2 or later the minimum config for
a standalone (not NFS/ADF/RVD client) is 1 X hd114e or 2 x hd70e or
1 X hd70e + 2 X hd40r unless you want to chuck out LOTS of stuff. We're
talking a BIG system now.
<scw>
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASNET; 2567 BH;LA CA 90024; (213)-825-8614
UUCP: ...!{ibmsupt,hao!cepu}!ollie}!scw ARPA:scw@{Ollie.,}SEAS.UCLA.EDU

pgc+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul G. Crumley) (12/17/88)

Karl,

What you describe should work fine with AOS software.  We've done this sort of
thing before here at the ITC.  I suspect it would be OK with AIX (no electrical
conflicts) but have never tried it so can't say for sure.