[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Hardware Flow Control under AIX 2.2

clp@beartrk.UUCP (Charlie Pilzer) (12/25/88)

As far as I am aware, it is not possible to use hardware flow control (RTS-CTS, DTR,
or any other signal) on a serial port card under AIX 2.2.  Does anyone know of a
driver that supports the use of hardware flow control on a 4 port serial card?
Actually, any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.  One of the
desired applications is using Telebit modems at high speed, but I get funny results
when I lock the interface at high speed then rely on X-ON/X-OFF to throttle down to
a 2400 baud connection.  A second problem with the X-ON/X-OFF is that sometimes the
system stops honoring it.  The biggest difficulties come when using a port defined as
a printer but not using qdaemon to drive the port.

Any pointers to a solution are appreciated.

Charlie Pilzer
Bear Track Computer Company
uunet!beartrk!clp

njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) (12/25/88)

In article <275@beartrk.UUCP> clp@beartrk.UUCP (Charlie Pilzer) writes:
>As far as I am aware, it is not possible to use hardware flow control (RTS-CTS, DTR,
>or any other signal) on a serial port card under AIX 2.2.  Does anyone know of a
>driver that supports the use of hardware flow control on a 4 port serial card?

(.......)

Anvil Systems manufactures a card which they refer to as the "Brumby",
which is a 4 port serial card that respects CTS/RTS flow control
(actually, you can't turn it off except by not connecting those
leads).  They also sell, with the card, the driver software for the
card for AIX on the RT.  This is not a product recommendation or
whatever, but I have one and use it.  Try sending mail to anvil.oz.au
for info.  They are mapped, but I can't find their US office in the
maps.

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)

clarke@acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke) (12/25/88)

I'm having good results with a TB+ and an IBM 4port buffered card.
Here are my TB+ settings:

E0 F1 M0 Q4 T V1 X3     Version BA4.00
S00=001 S01=001 S02=043 S03=013 S04=010 S05=008
S06=010 S07=060 S08=002 S09=006 S10=007 S11=070 S12=050
S45=255 S47=004 S48=000 S49=000
S50=000 S51=005 S52=002 S53=000 S54=003
S55=000 S56=017 S57=019 S58=000 S59=000
S60=000 S61=045 S62=003 S63=001 S64=001
S65=001 S66=001 S67=000 S68=255
S90=000 S91=000 S92=000 S95=002
S100=000 S101=000 S102=000 S104=000
S110=001 S111=030 S112=001
S121=000

The specs (from devices) for port 1 of a buffered card:

tt	vt100
ae	delay
dvam	1		(modem)
aa	true
rts	19200
ixp	true		(xon/xoff)
bpc	7
nosb	1
pt	even
om	dtr
sns	false

The BNU Devices entry for the TB+:
ACU tty0 - 19200 telebit \D

The BNU Dialers entry for the TB+:
telebit =W "" \d\r\c "" ATQ0V1E0M1S50=0S6=7\r\c OK \pATDT\T\r\c CONNECT

And a sample Systems entry from an archive site:
sir-alan Any ACU 19200 (814)337-0894 "" \r gin:-\K-gin:-\K-gin:-\K-gin: pdsrc

In addition to BNU/uucp and news (patchlevel 14), I run PCOMM 1.0 with this
setup.  My dialing command is "ATS95=0DTW".  This turns off the MNP protocol
because it causes problems with the non MNP modem that I usually talk to.
This system is locked at 2400 on the other end and 19200 on my end.  I have
no problems sending massive (100-400k) files through the connection using
the 'YMODEM' protocol.  I do not set S111 to support YMODEM ( it remains
at 30 to support UUCP 'g').
--
Ed Clarke
uunet!bywater!acheron!clarke

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (12/26/88)

In article <509@scifi.UUCP> njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) writes:
>Anvil Systems manufactures a card which they refer to as the "Brumby",
>which is a 4 port serial card that respects CTS/RTS flow control
>(actually, you can't turn it off except by not connecting those
>leads).  They also sell, with the card, the driver software for the
>card for AIX on the RT.

Does anyone know whether they have drivers for AOS 4.3?

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) (12/26/88)

-
-Does anyone know whether they have drivers for AOS 4.3?
-

As far as I know, they do not have drivers for AOS 4.3.  We've asked
them as recently as a few months ago.  Things may have changed, but I
doubt it.
--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)