[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] help with network mail to an rt

psiders@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Paul Siders) (02/09/89)

I am unable to get BITNET mail sent directly to my RT.  I know very little
about customizing sendmail, so my problem may be simple. Can someone help?

I'm running AIX 2.2.1, and have an ethernet connection to a local network.
I can get mail to and from the principal computer on the network: ub.d.umn.edu .
My rt's name is rtchem.d.umn.edu .  When I tried mailing to
   psiders@rtchem.d.umn.edu
from a remote computer (specifically, sc.msc.umn.edu at the Minneota
Supercomputer Center) the message was returned, with the following transcript:
   >>> HELO rtchem
   <<< 553 rtchem Do not communicate with self
   554 <psiders@rtchem.d.umn.edu>... Service unavailable: No such file or directory

The same "553 rtchem Do not communicate sith self" message is returned when
I try mailing something WITHIN rtchem (say, from root to a user), but use
the full domain name in the address.

Can someone suggest what I've likely got wrong?  Is there a relevant portion
of a particular manual that I should read?  Thanks for any suggestions.

   Paul Siders    (psiders@ub.d.umn.edu)

   (I'm a novice at unix and the rt, so please keep
    suggestions explicit and simple.)

umsgmab@sw1e.UUCP (7863]) (02/11/89)

In article <746@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> psiders@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Paul Siders) writes:

>I'm running AIX 2.2.1, and have an ethernet connection to a local network.
>My rt's name is rtchem.d.umn.edu .  When I tried mailing to
>   psiders@rtchem.d.umn.edu
>from a remote computer (specifically, sc.msc.umn.edu at the Minneota
>Supercomputer Center) the message was returned, with the following transcript:
>   >>> HELO rtchem
>   <<< 553 rtchem Do not communicate with self
>   554 <psiders@rtchem.d.umn.edu>... Service unavailable: No such file or directory

Its a bug in AIX sendmail.  The APAR number is IX3058.
There is an additional problem I've had with inbound UUCP mail.
The return address is garbled by AIX sendmail.  My SE is trying to find
out if anyone else has had the UUCP problem before I call it in to software
support...

	Regards,
	Mike Brown	Information Systems
			Southwestern Bell Telephone Co.