[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Distributed IPC Queues in a RT Cluster...

sean@adelie.Adelie.COM (Sean Conway) (02/23/89)

Does anyone have any experience with Distributed IPC Queues in a
RT Cluster:

() Modem 135 and a Model 125
() AIX V2.2.0
() Distributed Services 1.2

Specifically, I can't seem to define keys longer than seven digits long,
even though, my program on a call to ftok() returns keys eight digits long.

Am I missing something?

Sean Conway
Adelie Corporation

sean@adelie.Adelie.COM

jason@loyola.UUCP (Jason Levitt) (02/24/89)

In article <22857@adelie.Adelie.COM> sean@adelie.Adelie.COM (Sean Conway) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with Distributed IPC Queues in a
>RT Cluster:
>
>Specifically, I can't seem to define keys longer than seven digits long,
>even though, my program on a call to ftok() returns keys eight digits long.

I haven't used Distributed Services (DS) since the pre-1.0
days, but it used to be that the IPC key space allowed keys
in the range 0x0 - 0xffffffff .
  Of those keys, the ones available to users were:

   0x30000 - 0xfffff  -- keys returned by create_ipc_prof(3)

   0x10000000 - 0xffffffff - keys returned by ftok(3)

   The rest of the keys are unavailable.

     ---Jason

jason@loyola.UUCP (Jason Levitt) (02/24/89)

   My signature was left off the previous posting...

-----

Jason Levitt   P.O. Box 49860 Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055
UUCP: ...bigtex!hackbox!jason  BIX: jlevitt  According to the U.S.
State Department, friendly dictatorships are called: "Governments
where the preponderance of power rests with the executive branch."