[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Can one have two Ethernet cards on one RT?

mostardi@ux1.lbl.gov (David Mostardi) (02/25/89)

Dear Netland,

Some weeks ago I recall a posting about a sticky problem:
can a single RT have both a net0 and a net1 Ethernet card?

I have a colleague (not on the Net) who is now struggling
with this very problem.  If the original poster would contact
me, the two of you could share ideas and perhaps a solution.

Thank you!

David Mostardi			"Guess what, Dad!  Those chocolate
MSRI, Berkeley			   diskettes fit right into your
mostardi@ux1.lbl.gov		   computer, no problem!"

sauer@auschs.UUCP (Charlie Sauer) (02/25/89)

In article <1973@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, mostardi@ux1.lbl.gov (David Mostardi) writes:
> Some weeks ago I recall a posting about a sticky problem:
> can a single RT have both a net0 and a net1 Ethernet card?

Our news feed was struggling back then, so I assume the previous postings never
made it, or at least I can't find them. (I don't expire this group.)

Anyway, it should be routine to make this work with AIX.  I've never actually
done it myself, but I have had both Ethernet and Token Ring cards in the same
machine without trouble, and two Ethernets should be just as easy.  If you'll
mail me a description of the problems, I'll try to (get) help.

Charlie
--
C.H. Sauer IBM Advanced Workstations Div. !'s: cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!sauer
           11400 Burnet Road, D75/802     @'s: @CS.UTEXAS.EDU:sauer@ibmaus.uucp

griefer@ibmarc.uucp (Allan D. Griefer) (03/04/89)

You can have two ethernet cards in one RT.  Simply change both the address
and interrupt level to an unused setting and specify those unused settings
when adding the card via the "devices" command.