[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Bigger disk on 6161?

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (03/02/89)

Are there ANY options available for attaching a larger disk (300-600 Mbytes)
to a 6151?  Will any old ESDI work?  Special controllers?  The stock stuff
from IBM is too small to maintain ACIS 4.3 + source, X, and all the other
goodies we want to keep on line.  We're currently using NFS, but would
like to make all of it local to the RT.  Please reply by mail and I'll
summarize if there's enough interest.

       Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey

ericm@ibmpa.UUCP (Eric Murray) (03/04/89)

In article <1299@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) writes:
>Are there ANY options available for attaching a larger disk (300-600 Mbytes)
>to a 6151?  Will any old ESDI work?  Special controllers?  The stock stuff

Yep. You have two options- you can get some 310 Meg EESDI disks, or you
can use 9332 SCSI boxes- they come in 200 and 400 Meg configurations
(and maybe others). We use the SCSI's for storage on Andrew/NFS servers,
some of which have three of four 9332's attached.

sauer@auschs.UUCP (Charlie Sauer) (03/06/89)

In article <1299@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) writes:
> Are there ANY options available for attaching a larger disk (300-600 Mbytes)
> to a 6151?  Will any old ESDI work?  Special controllers?  The stock stuff
> from IBM is too small to maintain ACIS 4.3 + source, X, and all the other
> goodies we want to keep on line.  We're currently using NFS, but would
> like to make all of it local to the RT.  Please reply by mail and I'll
> summarize if there's enough interest.

310MB ESDI drives are supported options in 6151 models 115 and 130.

Charlie
--
C.H. Sauer IBM Advanced Workstations Div. !'s: cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!sauer
           11400 Burnet Road, D75/802     @'s: @CS.UTEXAS.EDU:sauer@ibmaus.uucp

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (03/09/89)

Granted, 9332s are big, big, big.  But are there any dense drives
that work with RTs?  CDCs or Fujis?