[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] AIX 2.2.1, vi on vt100 problems

bengsig@orcenl.uucp (Bjorn Engsig) (03/10/89)

We did it!  That is, we installed AIX 2.2.1 on our RT's and it all seems
to be all right.

We do however have a problem with vi on vt100 terminals connected to a
pty port over the Ethernet.  Inside vi, hitting the CR key has the same
effect as hitting the LineFeed or DownArrow.  This is very annoying since
there is no easy way to get to the beginning of the line; hitting | is a
two key sequence.  Did anybody else exprience this?  Is there a workaround?
I tried various stty things without luck.

Another thing is that there does not seem to be any tic.  There is (as usual)
no vt100-w (wide) terminfo, but now I can't even compile it from another source.

Thanks for any help.
--
Bjorn Engsig, ORACLE Europe         \ /    "Hofstadter's Law:  It always takes
EUnet path: mcvax!orcenl!bengsig     X      longer than you expect, even if you

sauer@auschs.UUCP (Charlie Sauer) (03/13/89)

In article <308.nlhp3@orcenl.uucp>, bengsig@orcenl.uucp (Bjorn Engsig) writes:
> We do however have a problem with vi on vt100 terminals connected to a
> pty port over the Ethernet.  Inside vi, hitting the CR key has the same
> effect as hitting the LineFeed or DownArrow.  This is very annoying since
> there is no easy way to get to the beginning of the line; hitting | is a
> two key sequence.  Did anybody else exprience this?  Is there a workaround?
> I tried various stty things without luck.

I've noticed a couple of other glitches in the 2.2.1 vi, but haven't gotten
around to formally generating an APAR, which would be the way to get it fixed.
(Customer APARs usually have priority over internals, so you might want to go
ahead and generate one.)  If you have the 2.2 vi, it doesn't seem to have these
problems, so that is one possible workaround.

> Another thing is that there does not seem to be any tic.  There is (as usual)
> no vt100-w (wide) terminfo, but now I can't even compile it from another source.

/usr/bin/tic is in one of the components of the osplus package.  I'm not sure
which one, but vi is also in there some place, so you must have it.

Charlie
--
C.H. Sauer IBM Advanced Workstations Div. !'s: cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!sauer
           11400 Burnet Road, D75/802     @'s: @CS.UTEXAS.EDU:sauer@ibmaus.uucp