[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] 3363 Optical Disk on 6152 Academic System

feigin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam Feigin) (03/16/89)

I've been trying to attach an IBM 3363 optical disk drive to one of our
6152 Academic systems, and I've had no luck so far. Unfortunately, there
is nothing about installing this in drive the 4.3 notes or the 6152
installation booklet. I've built a kernel with optical drive support,
installed the DOS driver for the optical drive, but I cant get the darn
thing to work at all. The folks at ACSC dont seem to have any experience
with this kind of installation.
If anyone out there has attached one of these drives to your 6152, I'd
sure appreciate hearing about how/what you did to get it going......
Thanx in advance.

							Adam
Internet: feigin@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu		Adam Feigin
Bitnet: feigin@crnlthry				Workstation Consultant
UUCP: {backbones}!cornell!batcomputer!feigin	Cornell National Supercomputer
MaBell: (607) 255-3985				Facility, Visualization Group

"There is no dark side in the moon, really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark"

carl@uscacsc.usc.edu (Carl Braganza) (03/18/89)

In article <7553@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> feigin@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Adam Feigin) writes:
>I've been trying to attach an IBM 3363 optical disk drive to one of our
>6152 Academic systems, and I've had no luck so far. Unfortunately, there
>is nothing about installing this in drive the 4.3 notes or the 6152
>installation booklet. I've built a kernel with optical drive support,
>installed the DOS driver for the optical drive, but I cant get the darn
>thing to work at all. The folks at ACSC dont seem to have any experience
>with this kind of installation.
>If anyone out there has attached one of these drives to your 6152, I'd
>sure appreciate hearing about how/what you did to get it going......
>Thanx in advance.

The optical disk is an unsupported feature on the 6152. However, I spoke to
the person in Palo Alto who had written the code, and got some hint on how
to make it work. Since I have never seen the device, nor its associated
software, what you get here is probably a diluted and over-simplified version
of what actually exists. However, if it is of any help ...

1. The optical disk (3363) runs under DOS and must be installed from DOS
before UNIX is booted. Presumably you already know how to do this; some
important steps are to install the driver in CONFIG.SYS and to run the
program `ibm3363'(?). If you are using the disk for the first time, then a
utility program (util3363 ?) must be run to format the disk. If you are
using 2 hard disks, the optical disk should attach itself as the "E"
drive.

Aside: The 3363 does not use DOS formatting. The ibm3363 program actually
provides its own COMMAND.COM which has hooks to use the optical disk -- it
is a non-trivial program. The optical disk is available only while the
ibm3363 command.com is running. Once you exit from that program, the disk
may no longer be used.

2. Run unix.exe (after running ibm3363). The optical disk should be found
during autoconfig (or so I imagine). I don't know exactly what messages should
appear, but something should be reported. All the hooks are already
available in UNIX.

3. The disk is available as the "raw" device /dev/rop0 under UNIX. You can
treat it as you would any other raw device. The designer typically does the
following: Collect on a hard disk all the stuff you want to have readonly,
and then use "dd" to dump it to the optical disk. Then mount the optical
disk, and voila, you have a readonly copy of the stuff!
If you put a lot of stuff (I don't really understand this -- maybe large
files?) use the XX option with util3363 to create larger extents for the
3363.

Some clarifications: The optical disk cannot be used as a "dfs" type disk --
it definitely does not use DOS formatting. Only DOS hard disks and floppies
may be mounted with a "dfs" type file system.

If you need more information, send me email, and I'll talk to Palo Alto for
you. I am expecting (unofficial) man pages for the device, so should have
additional information shortly.

Carl (carl@uscacsc.usc.edu)

USC Advanced Computing Support Center
3580 Wilshire Blvd, LA, CA 90010

carl@uscacsc.usc.edu (Carl Braganza) (03/23/89)

Enclosed is a man page I received from Palo Alto for the 3363 under AOS
4.3. Note, the device is still unsupported!

.\" $Header: op.4_ca,v 1.2 88/07/13 15:41:38 achan Exp $
.\" $Source: /ibm/acis/usr/man/man4/RCS/op.4_ca,v $
.\"
.\" P_R_P_Q_# (C) COPYRIGHT IBM CORPORATION 1986,1987,1988
.\" LICENSED MATERIALS - PROPERTY OF IBM
.\" REFER TO COPYRIGHT INSTRUCTIONS FORM NUMBER G120-2083
.\"
.\"$Header: op.4_ca,v 1.2 88/07/13 15:41:38 achan Exp $
.\"$Source: /ibm/acis/usr/man/man4/RCS/op.4_ca,v $
.\" This file uses -man macros.
.TH OP 4 "Sept 1988" "Space overwritten by .AC macro" " "
.AC 1 0
.SH NAME
op \- optical disk interface
.SH SYNOPSIS
.PP
For the IBM 6152 Academic System:
.br
.B "controller opc0 at iocc0 csr 0xffffffff priority 2"
.br
.B "device op0 at opc0 drive 0"
.br
.B "device op1 at opc0 drive 1"
.br
.B ...
.SH DESCRIPTION
.PP
On the IBM 6152 Academic System, the
.I op
device provides access to an System/2 IBM 3363 optical disk drive.
The disk drive uses removable 200 megabyte cartridges with
write-once (WORM) media.
.PP
Access to the cartridge is thru DOS, which provides an mechanism that
makes the write-once media appear to be normal read-write media.
.PP
Each \fIUnix\fP device uses a file on the DOS device (e.g. \fBUNIXFILE.\fP\fIddd\fP
where \fIddd\fP is the minor device number). The first time a optical disk file
is opened for writing the corresponding DOS file is created.
.PP
Raw I/O requests must start on a sector boundary, involve an integral
number of complete sectors, and not go off the end of the disk.
.SH NOTES
In most cases it is best to not treat an optical disk device as a normal read-write
device. In particular, it is not recommended that one use \fInewfs\fP(1) and then
mount and copy files onto an optical disk as this will involve rewriting the same
sectors a number of times, and result in needless wasting of space.
In general, when putting a large filesystem on optical disk that will then
be mounted later, it is better to create the filesystem on a hard disk (locally
or remotely) and then use \fIdd\fP(1) to copy the resulting filesystem onto
the optical disk. The filesystem can then be mounted read-only and accessed
normally.
.PP
One can also use other utilities that such as \fIdump\fP(8), and \fItar\fP(1),
which are better suited to a write-once media for backup to optical disk.
.PP
One must use the appropriate DOS 3363 utilities to initialize an optical
disk cartridge for the first time before it can be used from \fIUnixfP.
.PP
The various 3363 driver and utility files should be installed as described
in the 3363 documentation. If the system is configured to automatically boot
\fIunix\fP out of \fBautoexec.bat\fP, there is a problem in that both \fIunix\fP
and \fIibm3363\fP need to be the last command executed out of \fBautoexec.bat\fP.
One solution for this is to put the \fIunix\fP command into a .bat file of its
own, and then put the appropriate \fIibm3363\fP command as the last entry in
autoexec.bat, such as ``ibm3363 xx=1000 cmd=rununix''
where \fBrununix.bat\fP contains the command that would have normally appeared
last in autoexec.bat to start \fIunix\fP.
.SH ERRORS
The following errors may be returned by the driver:
.TP 12
[ENXIO]
Nonexistent drive (on open);
offset is too large or not on a sector boundary or
byte count is not a multiple of the sector size (on read or write);
bad (undefined) ioctl code.
Drive not ready; usually because no disk is in the drive or
the drive door is open.
.TP
[EIO]
A physical error other than ``not ready'', probably bad media or
unknown format.
.SH FILES
/dev/op[01]
.br
/dev/rop[01]
.SH SEE ALSO
tar(1), dd(1)
mkfs(8), newfs(8)
.SH DIAGNOSTICS
.BR "op%d: hard error" ,
.BR "BIOS error=0x%b" ,
.BR trk=%d ,
.BR Sec=%d ,
.BR Head=%d ,
.BR state=%s .
An unrecoverable error was encountered.  The System/2
BIOS error code, track, sector, head and state are displayed.
.PP
.BR "op%d: state %d (reset)" .
The driver entered an invalid state.
.PP
.BR "op%d: timeout" .
Lost interrupt.
.PP
.BR "op%d: write protected" .
The driver detected a drive containing a write-protected disk.  (On open
only.)
.PP
.BR "op%d: door open or hardware fault" .
Autodensity failed due to an unrecoverable error. (On open only.)
.PP
.BR "op%d: pc timeout" .
The device driver timed out waiting for the PC to accept a command.
.SH BUGS
.PP
In order to access large files (e.g. more than 32mb), the option
.BR XX=1000
should be specified on the \fIibm3363\fP command. Otherwise it is likely that
a large file will not be usable, and result in considerable waste space.