[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Questions about AIX/X Windows

sergio@squid.rtech.com (Sergio Aponte) (04/13/89)

	First of all, the usual apology if this is not the right group to ask
for help. By the titles and articles I have seen, your knowledge and depth of
discussion is somewhat above my own head. Maybe someone can just E-mail and not bore the rest of the NET with the details.

	I am working with and getting to understand an IBM RT 6150, AIX 2.2.1
just installed. After getting the ethernet going (!!), I am learning about
windows and what makes them tick.

	Que 1 : Was there a new release of X Windows with 2.2.1? I did not
get any flopies for it, so I am running 2.1 windows in there.

	Que 2 : For some reason, I am having problems with the sample programs.
After a long fight I changed bitmap to a more acceptable menu arrangement, but
xhello will not run at all. When it gets to the first AddPane, it bombs with
a message of an invalid font. I don't see anywhere that they set a font for the
root window or pane. I tried to look at the manual entries, but ...

	Que 3 : Cannot find the "man" command, or any way of reading the manual
pages. Do I have to install the usability services, or maybe the text processing
programs from extended services to process these? I notice that it does not
find nroff, so I though that it might be all bundled as a set as text processing
including the man command. Actually, I haven't found any documentation about
manual entries and how to use them. Is there such a thing in AIX?

	Thanks for any/all help. I would really appreciate any info, even if it
just says where to look it up.

	Disclaimer goes here about where I work and all. This is a personal
project, to learn about X Windows and the RT.
| Internet: sergio@squid.rtech.com                Sergio L. Aponte, MTS @ RTI |
| UUCP: {sun,mtxinu,pyramid,pacbell,hoptoad,amdahl,cpsc6a}!rtech!squid!sergio |

drake@ibmarc.uucp (/99999999) (04/15/89)

In article <2780@rtech.rtech.com> sergio@squid.UUCP (Sergio Aponte) writes:

>	Que 1 : Was there a new release of X Windows with 2.2.1? I did not
>get any flopies for it, so I am running 2.1 windows in there.

No, the X Window System Version 2 Release 1 is still current and works with
AIX 2.2.1.

>	Que 2 : For some reason, I am having problems with the sample programs.
>After a long fight I changed bitmap to a more acceptable menu arrangement, but
>xhello will not run at all. When it gets to the first AddPane, it bombs with
>a message of an invalid font. I don't see anywhere that they set a font for the
>root window or pane. I tried to look at the manual entries, but ...

Some programs from the MIT samples distribution assume the existence of
fonts which aren't shipped in the IBM product.
You might try putting the following in your .Xdefaults:

xhello*font:Rom14.500

>	Que 3 : Cannot find the "man" command, or any way of reading the manual
>pages. Do I have to install the usability services, or maybe the text processing
>programs from extended services to process these? I notice that it does not
>find nroff, so I though that it might be all bundled as a set as text processing
>including the man command. Actually, I haven't found any documentation about
>manual entries and how to use them. Is there such a thing in AIX?

The "man" command and manual pages aren't part of AIX itself, but are available
as a separate product.  Tell your salesman it's an RPQ, he should be able to
find it.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
VNET:      DRAKE at ALMADEN       BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMVMA
Internet:  drake@ibm.com          UUCP:    uunet!ibmarc!drake
Phone:     (408) 927-1861         IBM Tieline: 457-1861