[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Problem with X-windows

LXB104@PSUVM.BITNET (Loren G. Brewster) (04/22/89)

I type "xinit" to start up X-windows and after getting the X interface I
briefly get a pull down menu then I suddenly quit out of X-windows and get
the following error message;

069-031 You have opened the "/usr/lpp/X/bin" window.
xterm: out of pty's: No such file or directory

I have tried increasing the pty's in the /etc/master as suggested but for no
effect as I see.

              ___
      _______(_@_)_______
      | POLICE      BOX |
      |_________________|      Loren G. Brewster
       | _____ | _____ |       Penn State U. / York Campus
       | |###| | |###| |
       | |###| | |###| |       LXB104 at  PSUVM.BITNET
       | _____ | _____ |       LXB104@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
       | || || | || || |
       | ||_|| | ||_|| |       TIMELORD at DRYCAS
       | _____ |$_____ |
       | || || | || || |
       | ||_|| | ||_|| |  Reminder:  Where ever you go there you are.
       | _____ | _____ |
       | || || | || || |
       | ||_|| | ||_|| |
       |       |       |
       *****************

clarke@acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke) (04/23/89)

From article <82795LXB104@PSUVM>, by LXB104@PSUVM.BITNET (Loren G. Brewster):
-
- I have tried increasing the pty's in the /etc/master as suggested but for no
- effect as I see.

You have to create pty devices with the '/etc/devices' command.  I've never
touched '/etc/master' myself.  The command within devices is:

add ptydev pts

Then just keep hitting enter until you get back to the main menu.  I have
eight default ptys, and four more with login = true.   You might have to
re-boot the system after adding ptys - I'm not sure about that.  In any case,
the error message means that you have run out of 'login = false' ptys.
--
Ed Clarke
uunet!bywater!acheron!clarke

sauer@auschs.UUCP (Charlie Sauer) (04/24/89)

In article <82795LXB104@PSUVM> LXB104@PSUVM.BITNET (Loren G. Brewster) writes:
>I type "xinit" to start up X-windows and after getting the X interface I
>briefly get a pull down menu then I suddenly quit out of X-windows and get
>the following error message;
>
>069-031 You have opened the "/usr/lpp/X/bin" window.
>xterm: out of pty's: No such file or directory
>
>I have tried increasing the pty's in the /etc/master as suggested but for no
>effect as I see.

By default, there are no pty /dev entries in AIX as shipped.  The devices
command can be used to add them individually.  It is straightforward to use
tee to capture the appropriate input to devices and then use that as standard
input to devices to add a bunch of pty's.  I posted an example a while back and
could repost if there is enought interest.

Charlie
--
C.H. Sauer IBM Advanced Workstations Div. !'s: cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!sauer
           11400 Burnet Road, D75/802     @'s: @CS.UTEXAS.EDU:sauer@ibmaus.uucp

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (04/28/89)

In article <82795LXB104@PSUVM>, LXB104@PSUVM.BITNET (Loren G. Brewster) writes:
> I type "xinit" to start up X-windows and after getting the X interface I
> briefly get a pull down menu then I suddenly quit out of X-windows and get
> the following error message;
>
> 069-031 You have opened the "/usr/lpp/X/bin" window.
> xterm: out of pty's: No such file or directory

You need to run the "devices" command. From the main menu, type Add,
Ptydev, Pty, or do it all in one shot from the main menu by typing
"a pt pt" and then confirming the add operation. I would recommend
having at least 8 ptys if you are a serious user.
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim