[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] IBM RT and BSD 4.3

mbrookov@udenva.cair.du.edu (Matthew B. Brookover) (04/28/89)

Hi, I just started reading this news group so please forgive me if this
stuff has been asked before.

We are in the process of installing 2 IBM RTs (1 6150 and 1 6151) with
the BSD 4.3 OS from IBM.  I have ran into a number of problems that I
am hoping some body can help me with.

1) The floppy disk drive will work fine for a minute or 2 then we get
this message on the console in red letters:
fd not open! bp=e009e380 b_flags=8108 b_blkno=30 b_count=800
/etc/update, and any process using the floppy get hung in disk waits, and
the load starts to go way up.  What causes this, and can it be fixed?
We had to reboot the machine to get things back to normal.

2) The lisp and pascal compilers that came with the distribution will
not compile.  Is any body successfully using them?

3) does the hc compiler always print out all of those millions of
warnings?  the first time I compiled my own kernel I was very surprised
that it worked.  the pcc compiler has its share of problems to.  pcc
has dumped core and produced code that the assembler could not
assemble.

4) Rup, rusers, and rwall do not work correctly.  rup and rusers is
fine between the 2 RTs, but the output from rstatd on the rt is garbage
when read by rup on a VAX 11/750's running BSD 4.3 Unix from Mt Xinu.
Rup on the RT does net even see the Vax on the net.  Rwall prints the
message 3 times to the users on the specified host, and then says that
the host, (including the host that rwall was ran form) did not get the
message!

5) The X windows version 11 R2 that came with the distribution does not
support our IBM6154 color monitors. Does any body have a driver that
will make X11 work with the IBM6154?

We have the December 1988 release of IBM ACIS 4.3.
Thanks for The help, and if I get anything of use I will sumarize to the net.

					Matthew B. Brookver
					University of Denver
					Computing and Information Resources
					mbrookov@nike.cair.du.edu
					ncar!dunike!mbrookov
					mbrookov@ducair (bitnet)

eap@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Eric Pearce) (04/28/89)

In article <11553@udenva.cair.du.edu> mbrookov@udenva.cair.du.edu (Matthew B. Brookover) says:

>3) does the hc compiler always print out all of those millions of
>warnings?  the first time I compiled my own kernel I was very surprised
>that it worked.  the pcc compiler has its share of problems to.  pcc
>has dumped core and produced code that the assembler could not
>assemble.

  I think you can shut it up with the "-w" flag.  /bin/hc1.4 seems to
  be the only compiler that will work in most cases.  All the others
  crapped out when I tried to compile emacs 18.52.

>4) Rup, rusers, and rwall do not work correctly.  rup and rusers is
>fine between the 2 RTs, but the output from rstatd on the rt is garbage
>when read by rup on a VAX 11/750's running BSD 4.3 Unix from Mt Xinu.
>Rup on the RT does net even see the Vax on the net.  Rwall prints the
>message 3 times to the users on the specified host, and then says that
>the host, (including the host that rwall was ran form) did not get the
>message!

  All of these worked right out of the box for me.  Are you sure you
  ifconfig'd the interface correctly?  We have 4 RT's sharing a
  subnet with Sun3's, Sun4's and Sun386i's running 4.0 and an SGI IRIS
  4D. They all recognize the rwho/ruptime info correctly between each other.

>5) The X windows version 11 R2 that came with the distribution does not
>support our IBM6154 color monitors. Does any body have a driver that
>will make X11 work with the IBM6154?

  I bagged R2 and compiled the R3 distribution off expo.lcs.mit.edu.
  It was improved by some patches from CMU.   I have it running only on
  the megapel display (We have 8514's and apa8c's, but it doesn't work
  on them).

  -e

 Eric Pearce                                   ARPANET eap@bu-it.bu.edu
 Boston University Information Technology      CSNET   eap%bu-it@bu-cs
 111 Cummington Street                         JNET    jnet%"ep@buenga"
 Boston MA 02215                               UUCP    !harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!eap
 617-353-2780 voice  617-353-6260 fax          BITNET  ep@buenga

In article <30342@bu-cs.BU.EDU> eap@bu-it.bu.edu (Eric Pearce) writes:
>In article <11553@udenva.cair.du.edu> mbrookov@udenva.cair.du.edu (Matthew B. Brookover) says:

>  I think you can shut it up with the "-w" flag.  /bin/hc1.4 seems to
>  be the only compiler that will work in most cases.  All the others
>  crapped out when I tried to compile emacs 18.52.

I got emacs 18.53 patch from prep.ai.mit.edu that simplified some of the
expressions that the compiler could not deal with.
My emacs users say it works fine now.

>>4) Rup, rusers, and rwall do not work correctly.  rup and rusers is
>>fine between the 2 RTs, but the output from rstatd on the rt is garbage
>>when read by rup on a VAX 11/750's running BSD 4.3 Unix from Mt Xinu.
>>Rup on the RT does net even see the Vax on the net.  Rwall prints the
>>message 3 times to the users on the specified host, and then says that
>>the host, (including the host that rwall was ran form) did not get the
>>message!

>  All of these worked right out of the box for me.  Are you sure you
>  ifconfig'd the interface correctly?  We have 4 RT's sharing a
>  subnet with Sun3's, Sun4's and Sun386i's running 4.0 and an SGI IRIS
>  4D. They all recognize the rwho/ruptime info correctly between each other.

Here is another comment about rup and rusers:
From fink@nucthy.PHYSICS.ORST.EDU Thu Apr 27 20:53:20 1989:
%>4) Rup, rusers, and rwall do not work correctly.

%Yea, tease things never seem to work right. It seems that there is a 4.2,
%4.3 difference.

I guess it is possible that there are several versions of rup, rusers
and rwall floating around.

ftp, rlogin, and NFS seem to work just fine.  I will double check the ifconfigs
just to make shure.

							Matt

lkw@solaria.csun.edu (Larry Wake) (04/29/89)

In article <30342@bu-cs.BU.EDU> eap@bu-it.bu.edu (Eric Pearce) writes:
>In article <11553@udenva.cair.du.edu> mbrookov@udenva.cair.du.edu (Matthew B. Brookover) says:
>>4) Rup, rusers, and rwall do not work correctly.  rup and rusers is
>>fine between the 2 RTs, but the output from rstatd on the rt is garbage
>>when read by rup on a VAX 11/750's running BSD 4.3 Unix from Mt Xinu.
>>Rup on the RT does net even see the Vax on the net.  Rwall prints the
>>message 3 times to the users on the specified host, and then says that
>>the host, (including the host that rwall was ran form) did not get the
>>message!
>
>  All of these worked right out of the box for me.  Are you sure you
>  ifconfig'd the interface correctly?  We have 4 RT's sharing a
>  subnet with Sun3's, Sun4's and Sun386i's running 4.0 and an SGI IRIS
>  4D. They all recognize the rwho/ruptime info correctly between each other.

Rwho and ruptime are not the same as rusers and rup.  Rusers and rup use
Sun's RPC routines.  I've actually found rusers to work just fine, but
rup (or any other program that uses rstat(3) ) definitely has problems.

The situation: rstat() works fine if the local and remote machines are
RTs, but if the remote machine is a Sun and the local machine is an RT,
rstat() complains that it got unusable information from the remote
machine.  In the reverse instance, the Sun will accept the data from
the RT, but it's obviously bogus.  For example, here's the output from
"rsh tim rup tim"  (tim being an RT) -- have an RT use rstat() to query
itself:

         tim    up 30 days, 22:30,    load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.00

Okay, no problem.  In fact, any RT querying any other RT has no
problems.  Now let's just do a plain "rup tim" -- that is, have the Sun
I'm logged into use rstat() to query an RT:

         tim    up 7026 days, 18:23,    load average: 6.57, 1.88, 0.00

Not *quite* right...

I've mentioned this in a previous posting, which got no responses, both
here and on comp.sys.next, as it turns out that NeXTs exhibit identical
behavior -- RTs and NeXTs return valid results amongst themselves in any
combination, but any RT <--> Sun or NeXT <--> Sun interaction does not
work.

I've taken a cursory glance at both the RT code and the Sun RPC source,
and they appear to be nigh-on to identical.  Does anyone have any
clues?
--
Larry Wake, CSUN Computer Center		lkw@csun.edu
Northridge, CA 91330         			csun!lkw

ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (05/02/89)

In article <11553@udenva.cair.du.edu>, mbrookov@udenva (Matthew B. Brookover) writes:
>Hi, I just started reading this news group so please forgive me if this
>stuff has been asked before.
>
>We are in the process of installing 2 IBM RTs (1 6150 and 1 6151) with
>the BSD 4.3 OS from IBM.  I have ran into a number of problems that I
>am hoping some body can help me with.
>
>1) The floppy disk drive will work fine for a minute or 2 then we get
>this message on the console in red letters:
>fd not open! bp=e009e380 b_flags=8108 b_blkno=30 b_count=800
>/etc/update, and any process using the floppy get hung in disk waits, and
>the load starts to go way up.  What causes this, and can it be fixed?
>We had to reboot the machine to get things back to normal.

When we reported this problem to IBM we were basically told that we
were hallucinating.  Something about they never having seen it, so it
could not be happening.

>2) The lisp and pascal compilers that came with the distribution will
>not compile.  Is any body successfully using them?

Of course they don't.  IBM left the BSD VAX versions in the source
tree ostensibly because the sell BSD UNIX.  You need to order
Professional Pascal from IBM.  We ported Austin-Kyoto Common Lisp to
the RTs.  If you are interested contact Felix Lee
<flee@shire.cs.psu.ed> for more info.

>3) does the hc compiler always print out all of those millions of
>warnings?  the first time I compiled my own kernel I was very surprised
>that it worked.  the pcc compiler has its share of problems to.  pcc
>has dumped core and produced code that the assembler could not
>assemble.

Yes.  "Do not worry about the compiler messages when building a
kernel.  They do not mean anything.  By the way why would you ever
want to rebuild a kernel from source?", IBM Advanced Computing Support
Center.

>4) Rup, rusers, and rwall do not work correctly.  rup and rusers is
>fine between the 2 RTs, but the output from rstatd on the rt is garbage
>when read by rup on a VAX 11/750's running BSD 4.3 Unix from Mt Xinu.
>Rup on the RT does net even see the Vax on the net.  Rwall prints the
>message 3 times to the users on the specified host, and then says that
>the host, (including the host that rwall was ran form) did not get the
>message!

Ah.  This is because the version of the NFS/RPC utilities source tape
that IBM used to do their port was from the time of SunOS 3.2.  It
still has all the same bugs that the SunOS 3.2 utilities had.  Do not
hold your breath for the SunOS 4.0 version of NFS and the associated
RPC utilities, IBM is too busy doing AIX to do any more `development'
on AOS.

>5) The X windows version 11 R2 that came with the distribution does not
>support our IBM6154 color monitors. Does any body have a driver that
>will make X11 work with the IBM6154?

Check on expo.lcs.mit.edu in the contrib directory for a file named
*ibm*tar.Z which supposedly has an X11 R3 server in it.  Of course I
haven't been able to get it to compile yet.

>We have the December 1988 release of IBM ACIS 4.3.

Are you running token ring or ethernet?  If you are running ethernet
you haven't had the chance to experience the best bug of them all.  Seems
that a microcode problem in the 6152s ethernet adapter is capable of
crashing the 6152.  We spent two months convincing IBM that this problem
existed and we still have recieved a real fix (it has been 4 months total).

--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu> | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are
The Pennsylvania State University      | my own, and should not be attributed

fink@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Paul Fink) (05/03/89)

In article <4530@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>In article <11553@udenva.cair.du.edu>, mbrookov@udenva (Matthew B. Brookover) writes:
>>
>>1) The floppy disk drive will work fine for a minute or 2 then we get
>>this message on the console in red letters:

>>fd not open! bp=e009e380 b_flags=8108 b_blkno=30 b_count=800
>>/etc/update, and any process using the floppy get hung in disk waits, and
>>the load starts to go way up.  What causes this, and can it be fixed?
>>We had to reboot the machine to get things back to normal.
>
>When we reported this problem to IBM we were basically told that we
>were hallucinating.  Something about they never having seen it, so it
>could not be happening.

We have the same problem. Has anyone seen a fix for this?

         Paul J. Fink Jr.                    Internet:
         Oregon State University                fink@PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
         Department of Physics               Phone:
         Corvallis, Oregon 97331                (503) 754-4631