[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] exiting from xinit under AIX2.2.1

dzoey@umd5.umd.edu (Joe Herman) (04/28/89)

Hello, I recently put up X-windows under AIX 2.2.1 and I've been
having some problems when exiting.  I start up X with an xinit call
from the console, which starts the session manager (aixwm) and fires
up an aixterm.  When I exit aixterm, the grey X-windows screen
appears, but I no longer have any session manager or window in which
to type.  I have to log in from another host and kill the xterm
process to get the console back.

There has to be a cleaner way of going out of X.  Has anyone else
run into this problem?

			Joe Herman

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu

--
"Everything is wonderful until you know something about it."

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (04/29/89)

In article <4773@umd5.umd.edu> dzoey@umd5.umd.edu (Joe Herman) wrote:
>Hello, I recently put up X-windows under AIX 2.2.1...

>When I exit aixterm, the grey X-windows screen
>appears, but I no longer have any session manager or window in which
>to type.

<CTRL>-<ALT>-<BACKSPACE> kills the X server.

>I have to log in from another host and kill the xterm
>process to get the console back.

<ALT>-<ACTION> will drop you into the console window.  There's no need
to go through another machine.  It's possible to use multiple virtual
terminals in addition to the console window and the X environment.  Try
the 'open' command.

Commands running in aixterm windows may block waiting to write to the
screen while the windows are hidden or X is switched out by
<ALT>-<ACTION>.  The virtual terminals don't block; just like a real
terminal, they scroll merrily away whether or not you're looking at
them.

	Chuck Karish		{decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!karish
	(415) 493-7277		karish@forel.stanford.edu

clarke@acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke) (04/30/89)

From article <4773@umd5.umd.edu>, by dzoey@umd5.umd.edu (Joe Herman):
> There has to be a cleaner way of going out of X.  Has anyone else
> run into this problem?

Use ctrl-alt-backspace to terminate X11 on AIX 2.2.1.
--
Ed Clarke
uunet!bywater!acheron!clarke

drake@ibmarc.uucp (Sam Drake/99999999) (05/02/89)

In article <4773@umd5.umd.edu> dzoey@umd5.umd.edu (Joe Herman) writes:
>There has to be a cleaner way of going out of X.  Has anyone else
>run into this problem?

Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will terminate the X server.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
VNET:      DRAKE at ALMADEN       BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMVMA
Internet:  drake@ibm.com          UUCP:    uunet!ibmarc!drake
Phone:     (408) 927-1861         IBM Tieline: 457-1861

griefer@ibmarc.uucp (Allan D. Griefer) (05/04/89)

In a recent append, dzoey@umd5.umd.edu (Joe Herman) writes...
>There has to be a cleaner way of going out of X.  Has anyone else
>run into this problem?

You can exit from X at any time by entering ctl-alt-backspace.  I hope this
helps.

Opinions are strictly my own,
Allan D. Griefer,       IBM Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA
BITNET: GRIEFER at ALMADEN              Internet: griefer@ibm.com
UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmarc!griefer