[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Personal Pageprinter II and AIX 2.2.1

peter@hydrovax.nmt.edu (Peter A. Blemel) (05/05/89)

Hi
   Well, they tell me that NEWS is finally up again. I still have my bug
lists for anyone who wants them, I tried posting way back when but things
weren't getting off campus.

   On to the topic at hand. We recently purchased Interleaf and a
Personal Pageprinter II. When I run 'devices' to add it (the printer) to the
system, I see a selection for Personal Pageprinter. It does not say II, but
I figure since it's the only reference to the beast... Anyway, when I
select it devices goes off looking for adaptors and then says something
to the effect of 'You don't have any adaptors suitable for using this
printer.'.

   I have a 135 w/megapel paralell, the two basic serials, and the
8 port Rs232 adapter. Anyone know how to configure the Pageprinter II? I
fooled it into thinking it was a Proprinter XL, but that makes the
postscript useless.

Thanks -
Peter
-----
peter@hydrovax.nmt.edu
peter@amber.nmt.edu

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (05/07/89)

In article <2561@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, peter@hydrovax (Peter A. Blemel) writes:
> Personal Pageprinter II. When I run 'devices' to add it (the printer) to the
> system, I see a selection for Personal Pageprinter. It does not say II, but
> I figure since it's the only reference to the beast... Anyway, when I
> select it devices goes off looking for adaptors and then says something
> to the effect of 'You don't have any adaptors suitable for using this
> printer.'.

You need the 4216/A Personal Pageprinter adapter, which is where the
PostScript interpreter code gets downloaded. Also, you need the "PostScript
Interpreter RT PC Edition" p/n 06F2410, a 3 diskette package done for IBM
by Adobe Systems. On the 4216/A, be careful -- it comes in both AT/RT bus
versions and microchannel versions. After you get all done, it ends up
being a lot more expensive than just buying a laser printer with the
PostScript built in, and takes up a fair amount of disk space on the RT.
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim

pgc+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul G. Crumley) (05/07/89)

Hi,

I believe the Personal Pageprinter comes in two flavors, bus attached
and serial line/appletalk attached.  The original Personal Pageprinter
is bus attached while the Personal Pageprinter II is serial line
attached.  If the devices command does not know about the Personal
Pageprinter II try using the "osp1" (other serial printer) option.  This
will at least get you started.  You can tweak the specifics as needed.

As for the bus attached version, wow is it fast when sending hugh data
files to the printer.  I routinely print whole page raster files
described in Postscript.  On a laserwriter connected with a 9600 baud
line this can easily take 10 minutes just to transfer the data.  With
the bus attached 4216 the prints come out in about 30 seconds!  If you
print, or are planning to print, large amounts of complex images
described in Postscript you may wish to look into the bus attached
version of the 4216.

Paul